The Michael Jackson Memorial - July 7, 2009
  • It fits, but I don't think I've ever seen something like that before
  • I really wasn't impressed with his remarks
  • When she spoke, it was definitely heartfelt

• by Orrymain

The world stopped for two hours and fifteen minutes on Tuesday, July 7 to mourn the singing legend of Michael Jackson. The services started a bit late and had a bit of a false start, perhaps, when Smokey Robinson greeted people several minutes before the Jackson family had even arrived.

The first big surprise was that Michael’s casket was brought in. No one was expecting that. What a casket, too — all gold. It fits, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen something like that before.

Over the next couple of hours, there were a variety of performances and comments about Michael and his impact on the world. Here’s my take on the good and the bad from my perspective.

First, the bad.

–Mariah Carey. What was she thinking? She’s going to a memorial service, not to the Grammys. Is she that desperate for attention that she has to show off her ‘girls’ to the world?

It was inappropriate dress and totally detracted from the wonderful vocals that she gave to I’ll Be There. I was stunned that she utilized such utterly poor taste.

–Bernice King. Though her clothing was more appropriate in terms of cut, it stood out horribly. You’d think she had something better to select in her closet than that obnoxious lime green. Maybe she needs attention, too. It shouted, “Hey, look at me!” It was a horrid choice.

–Smokey Robinson. I really wasn’t impressed with his remarks. While I understand them, they felt very self-involved to me. They rubbed me the wrong way. Then at the end, when Heal the World was being sung, he’s the only one that I saw who just stood there like a stone statue. He was a blank canvas. I don’t feel the love.

–The failure to acknowledge on screen the names of those from the This ...

• is It tour who concluded the show. Everyone wanted to know who they were, and to not give them credit was a shameful oversight.

Now for the good.

–Many of the musical tributes were absolutely wonderful, especially Jennifer Hudson’s and Stevie Wonders. Those two really touched me and felt like they were from the heart.

–Brooke Shields. I’ve never been a fan of Brooke’s, but I recall very well all the media and tabloid attention that her friendship with Michael Jackson received way back when. When she spoke, it was definitely heartfelt. I saw it, and I felt it; and I remembered the times she was sharing with the world. Then at the end, when she was on stage with everyone else during We are the World and Heal the World, she was so in the moment. She was feeling Michael. It captured my heart, and I felt for her.

–Judith Hill. The end

of the memorial service featured singers from the This is It tour that would have begun very soon. The lead vocal went to unknown Judith Hill. In fact, this could be her springboard to success. Part of me thinks that would be awesome, that even in death, Michael has found a way to continue on, but bringing the world Judith Hill.

–Paris Jackson. Michael’s daughter is going to carry on the legacy. I don’t know how, but she’ll be a presence. She touched our souls and she did something that no one else there could do: she humanized her father. She called him, ‘Daddy’ and declared her love for him. She broke down in tears. For the first time, Michael was more than a singer or fodder for a headline. He was Daddy. The moment was not scripted, and it will do more for the legend of Michael Jackson than anything else.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101007755140431/k2311a0710/7.10.09