Eyes of a Stranger
  • I enjoyed seeing Gordon Pinsent as one of the police detectives
  • He was a recurring character in that series, and I thought he was outstanding on that show

• by Orrymain

Eyes of a Stranger is a Richard Dean Anderson film from 1992 that I’ve never seen, most likely because I’m really not into murder mysteries that are scary all that much, and that’s what this film is suppose to be. Since someone gifted me with this recently, it was time to enjoy Anderson’s work in this film since he’s one of my favorite performers. Oddly, my assumption about the movie wasn’t at all what it was about, so the joke was on me.

Still, this was an odd movie.

Anderson was good with his mullet hair and hairy chest, but the character wasn’t really appealing to me at all. He had some good back story, but it really didn’t justify to me what ultimately happens in this movie.

I enjoyed seeing Gordon Pinsent as one of the police detectives. What’s funny about that is that I didn’t have a clue who he was until a month ago when I watched the Due South TV show for the first time. He was a recurring character in that ...

• series, and I thought he was outstanding on that show. I noticed his name in the opening credits of Eyes of a Stranger, and again, I thought he was great.

Justine Bateman is Anderson’s co-star here, playing a gal named Lynn. I didn’t like her from the start. I really don’t like woman who throw themselves all over a guy they don’t know. She seemed psychotic to me from the start. I didn’t even like that choker she wore around her neck all the time. It

just felt like she would be strangled by it at any moment.

In the end, I’m really not convinced that Bateman’s character isn’t certifiably insane. The rationales she used make me nervous, and frankly, it felt like the relationship between Lynn and her ‘friend’ Nancy had a whole lot more to it than we saw on film. It resonated with a nasty vibe that wasn’t dealt with in the story.

I adore Anderson, and I’m glad I finally saw this movie, but it’s not one I’ll be watching with any regularity.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111007755130331/k2311a0710/7.10.09