Equate No Rub Multi-Purpose Solution  » Health  »
2.5
  • The last time I bought some solution, the one that was the cheapest at $9.99 was Equate No Rub Multi-Purpose Solution
  • I decided I needed to change my lenses in case they were just old, so I put in a new pair

• by Jessie Bahrey

I have worn soft contact lenses for over 20 years and during that time, I have tried every brand of contact lens solution available. I rarely see any difference, so I generally buy the cheapest one, because solution can be pretty expensive. In the past few years, most of the solutions are so-call ‘multi-purpose’ and are supposedly good for cleaning, rinsing, storage, and lubricating the contacts once they are in your eyes.

I have never really found a solution that does all those things better than any other solution. The last time I bought some solution, the one that was the cheapest at $9.

was Equate No Rub Multi-Purpose Solution; according to the packaging, this solution did not require any rubbing or cleaning at all. This is a very attractive claim, because of course, rubbing the contacts increases the chances of tearing the lenses, and it also save a lot of time.

The instructions say to simply rinse the contacts with this solution and put them in their container with more solution. I doubted how this could work, but I bought it as it was the least expensive.

That night when I took my contact lenses out, I completely forgot about the ‘no rub’ feature; I have been doing ...

• the same routine for so long that it is just a reflex. The next night I did remember.

I took each lens out, poured the solution over it, and put them away. The next day, I rinsed each one again before putting them in my eyes.

They felt okay, but the next day, they felt cloudy (you contact lens wearers will understand what I mean). I rinsed again, and the same thing happened.

I ended up rubbing, and they cleared up a bit. This continued for a week; I ended up rubbing to clean the lenses anyway.

I decided I needed to change my

lenses in case they were just old, so I put in a new pair. The same thing occurred-the lenses felt cloudy and sometimes even dirty the next day when I put them in, so I always ended up rubbing them and re-rinsing them, which of course meant I went through the solution very quickly.

I now just rub my lenses to clean them at night before I store them, and this works. Equate No Rub Multi-Purpose Solution is not really ‘no rub’ at all, but when you rub to clean, it works no better or no worse than the other solutions on the market.

kris cook says :

re : The last time I bought some solution, the one that was the cheapest at $9.99 was Equate No Rub Multi-Purpose Solution
    the most affordable NO RUB contact solution is equate but our Wal Mart in little rock ar has stopped selling it and we can’t find it anywhere? tried to find on line so we could buy a case,but have not been able to find.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi, I think that your Wal-Mart have just ran out of the solution. It is available in my Wal-Mart here in Gainesville Ga (400 Shallowford Rd NW, Gainesville, GA 30504) for about $ 3.50 for a 12 ounce bottle. Perhaps, you could have your Wal-Mart do a store to store order? Also, I have included a link for you for Wal-Mart.com : where you can find the No RUB Multi-Purpose Solution for soft contact lenses for $ 3.48 for the same 12 ounce bottle. However, you may have to pay for shipping which could raise the price. Anyway, hope this helps.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 34907754290131/k2311a079/7.9.09