San Diego ZOO  » Entertainment  »
2920 Zoo Drive, San Diego, CA
  • Since then I have been to the SD Zoo close to 20 times and although the zoo is very nice and the animals are well taken care of, I don't think the Zoo lives up to its reputation
  • The Skyfari is really fun also and I highly recommend
  • I have been to the Cleveland Zoo many times which I think is as nice and the cost was $11

• by lawyer1laurie

Having been too zoos all across the country, from Cleveland to St. Louis to Central Park, I have seen alot of wonderful zoos over the years.

When I moved to San Diego a few years ago, I couldn’t wait to go the WORLD FAMOUS SAN DIEGO ZOO. Since then I have been to the SD Zoo close to 20 times and although the zoo is very nice and the animals are well taken care of, I don’t think the Zoo lives up to its reputation.

The zoo has some very good features. There is plenty of free parking which makes getting in and out very easy. It is open all year round and has special

events over the holidays. At Halloween, you can go trick or treating or at Christmas you can see the light displays. It also has a great Panda exhibit where you can see the Pandas up close. The monkey exhibits are top notch and they just opened a brand new multi-million dollar elephant exhibit.

The Skyfari is really fun also and I highly recommend. The park is very big so I recommend taking the Skyfari from the bottom of the park to the top and making your way down.

The park disappoints in may respects though. It is very expensive ($35 for adults and $26 for kids) which is alot for a zoo and ...

• food costs an arm and a leg. I have been to the Cleveland Zoo many times which I think is as nice and the cost was $11. The SD Zoo is very large and hilly so plan to do lots of walking. The SD Zoo has a two story bus that can take you around the park but the bus moves very quickly making it hard to take in the animals and get pictures. The few times I took the bus, I hardly saw any animals so I went back to walking the park.

The zoo also gets really crowded on weekends and summer days making it difficult to see some

of the parks best features (i.e. the pandas or reptile house) because of the long lines.

If you are a San Diego resident, I would recommend getting a membership. It costs us $126 dollars for my husband, me and my son which was good for a year. You also get two guest passes so if you have family visiting you can take them for free. If you go a few times in the summer and then over the holidays it is worth it.

If you are here in SD just for vacation, to be honest I would skip the zoo and spend your money at Sea World. You get more bang for your buck.

San Diego ZOO

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 59907753731231/k2311a079/7.9.09