Russian Railways  » Railway  »
  • A few years ago, I decided to do the Trans-Siberian, and have only now just got around to actually travelling
  • As a single female traveler, I can honestly say that I never felt in any danger on these trains, and that I would definitely do more travel on the railways by myself
  • I was pleased that the trains were always on time, and impressed that we even arrived early into some of the stations

• by Karandash

A few years ago, I decided to do the Trans-Siberian, and have only now just got around to actually travelling. I decided to do my journey in four different sections - Ulan-Ude to Irkutsk, Irkutsk to Yekaterinburg, Yekaterinburg to Moscow and Moscow to Saint Petersburg.

I was pleasantly surprised by the consistantly high level of service on these trains.

Although it might not be much by Western standards, I wasn’t expecting much from the Russian Railway system, but found that my prior ideas were misconceived. I was surprised that on the longer legs, we were brought meals in our compartment that, although nothing gourmet or special, were adequate and quite filling. There was always hot water available ...

• for tea, coffee, noodles or oatmeal, and the car attendants sold things such as beer, water, tea, etc. The restaurant cars seemed to me to be clean and well-maintained, and I had no qualms about eating the food.

I loved my second class compartment on the legs of the journey to and from Moscow. I got a great sleep

because of the quality of the beds. As a single female traveler, I can honestly say that I never felt in any danger on these trains, and that I would definitely do more travel on the railways by myself.

I was pleased that the trains were always on time, and impressed that we even arrived early into some of the stations.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 44807752510131/k2311a078/7.8.09