Moon River Soap Shop  » Business  »
Main St., New Baltimore, Michigan
  • It's a convenient five minute drive, so I figured I'd stop by and check it out
  • You feel at home when walking in the door, and there's definitely something to be said for casual decoration
  • The soaps smell delicious and are reasonably priced
  • I highly recommend this to anyone who likes to be original with their gift-giving

• by Nikki Hanna

I was recently told, by a friend, about a new soap and gift shop that opened up downtown near our house. It’s a convenient five minute drive, so I figured I’d stop by and check it out. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised!

I often have misconceptions about ma and pop stores that sell home-made products, because they tend to last six months before being forced to shut their doors due to lack of business. I have a feeling that wont be a necessity for Moon River Soap Shop. Though it only opened its

doors two weeks ago (the grand opening is in another week), the business is steady and, dare I say it, even booming.

When I visited today, customers were constantly coming in and out. One of the wonderful things about this shop is that the owner likes to showcase local talent. She has beautiful floral and scene-scape paintings done by a local artist, dog collars and bandanas also done by a local artist, and jewelry done by a local artist. Her and her mother make soaps, costumes for children, hand-painted glass products, and tie-dye clothing ...

• for all shapes and sizes.

The shop has a quaint look and a comfortable feeling. You feel at home when walking in the door, and there’s definitely something to be said for casual decoration. There is certainly nothing pretentious about this shop, but it screams quality regardless. The soaps smell delicious and are reasonably priced. The artwork is beautiful and I certainly wouldn’t mind hanging it on my walls! And the costumes (including hand-made butterfly and fairy wings) are of the highest quality.

You really can’t go wrong visiting this shop if you find

yourself in a situation which requires a creative and unique gift idea. The jewelry ranges in price from $20 to $120, so there’s something for every budget, and there’s many styles of jewelry to choose from. It’s almost as if you’re wearing art!

There’s still some work to be done before the grand opening. There’s a slightly “cluttered” feel to the shop, but once the displays are refined, this will be the shop to visit when holidays, birthdays or anniversaries come a’ callin. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes to be original with their gift-giving.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 41807751741231/k2311a078/7.8.09