Nintendo Wii
2.5
  • The games become tedious and boring, and the graphics are less than state-of-the-art

• by Nikki Hanna

My kids and husband are video game junkies. As such, we have to have a gaming console in our house at all times. At first it was the new XBox 360, when they were first released, but this console had a world of bugs the company had yet to work through, so we decided to trade it in for the more family-friendly (and mother-friendly) Nintendo Wii.

The Wii is a novelty, to be sure, with it’s incredibly interactive and virtual reality-like games. Wii Sports, which is included with the purchase of the console, is a work-out for even the most avid workout enthusiasts. Stand up in the middle of your

living room and play Wii Tennis for an hour and you’ll be feeling the effects of it the next morning. With that said, this is the gaming console most mothers want because it keeps their children active.

However, my children are no longer children, but growing young teenagers, and most of the Wii games available today are not exactly stimulating for the average teenage boy. My kids have coined them “little kid” games. and though I like the idea that there’s a console out there that produces wholesome games without the blood and guts most kids appreciate these days, I can recognize that tweens and teens need more than just ...

• physical stimulation. The Wii simply, from what I can tell, does not provide entertaining enough games for the more adult mind.

We never had any mechanical problems with our Wii. In fact, it worked like a charm. If not for the fact that Wii games left a lot to be desired for my kids, this would be the perfect console in that it keeps your kids active. But, with new innovations on the way with the XBox 360 console, and their bugs worked out, and their games created with adults in mind, it seems the Wii falls quickly by the wayside.

If you have children under the age of twelve,

then the Wii might be a good alternative for your gaming junkie children. It will get them off the couch and keep them away from the more graphic adult-like images found in other games. But, if your kids are growing up (sometimes faster than we mothers would like), then the Wii simply falls short. The games become tedious and boring, and the graphics are less than state-of-the-art.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I can give it an even 5, because it’s great for the younger kids, but has a long way to go to catch up with other gaming consoles on the entertainment factor for the older kids.

Nintendo Wii

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16507749330831/k2311a075/7.5.09