Naproxen  » Medicine  »
2.5
  • Because of the intense pain, which often-times incapacitates me for the first three days of my period, causing nausea and diarrhea and a variety of other ugly symptoms, I decided it was in my best interest to seek out prescription pain relief from my gynecologist
  • Though I imagine some people more sensitive to the effects of prescription medications might find immediate relief taking Naproxen, I found that the dosage and one-pill-a-day instructions were hardly sufficient
  • If you experience a level of pain which does not incapacitate you, and you are, with some effort, still able to function, than this drug might be just what you need to take that extra edge off the pain

• by Nikki Hanna

I am a thirty-three year old woman who has been experiencing extremely painful menstrual cramps for more than half my life. Because of the intense pain, which often-times incapacitates me for the first three days of my period, causing nausea and diarrhea and a variety of other ugly symptoms, I decided it was in my best interest to seek out prescription pain relief from my gynecologist.

After a basic examination and long discussion with my doctor about alternatives that were far more invasive than drugs, we finally settled

on Naproxen as a pain-relief possibility. After some research (because I never take prescriptions blindly) I discovered that Naproxen was in the Darvocet family. Though I’ve had some success with using Darvocets as a pain-relief option, I also know that this family of drugs makes me tired, and sometimes doesn’t completely help alleviate the painful symptoms. But, I was willing to give it a go and see what comes of it.

My prescription called for one tablet a day, and was supposed to provide pain relief for a ...

• full twenty-four hour period. This was, however, not the case with me. Though I imagine some people more sensitive to the effects of prescription medications might find immediate relief taking Naproxen, I found that the dosage and one-pill-a-day instructions were hardly sufficient. Though it DOES work when I take two, I was instructed by my doctor that this was not the correct usage of the medication and was told to stop taking it and find another alternative.

It was discouraging to discover that a drug supposedly as strong

as Naproxen wasn’t enough to suit my needs. If you are one of the hundreds of thousands of woman who suffers extremely painful menstrual cramps, than this drug will not be sufficient enough to help. If you experience a level of pain which does not incapacitate you, and you are, with some effort, still able to function, than this drug might be just what you need to take that extra edge off the pain. In all honesty, though, I’ve found Motrin and a heating pad work just as well.

Naproxen

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26507749210831/k2311a075/7.5.09