Claritin-D, over-the-counter
1.5
  • Unfortunately, I also discovered that the price was absolutely exhorbatent at a hefty $20 for a ten day supply
  • All in all, I recommend it only to those who have no medical insurance and have no other recourse but to buy their medications over-the-counter

• by Nikki Hanna

Several years ago, I moved from Arkansas to Michigan, and the climate change was, needless to say, a severe adjustment for me. I moved in the month of September and, though I never experienced severe seasonal allergies before, I was suddenly bombarded with a stuffy nose, sore throat, runny and itchy eyes and sneezing attacks that generally lasted a full ten minutes, at the end of which I was exhausted. Knowing I had to take something to ease the allergic reactions I was experiencing, I headed to my local drug store, and was excited

to see that Claritin was finally available over-the-counter without a doctors prescription.

Unfortunately, I also discovered that the price was absolutely exhorbatent at a hefty $20 for a ten day supply! These pills are supposed to be taken only once a day, and are supposed to provide 24 hour relief from allergy symptoms. So, on that first day, I took one pill like a good girl, following the directions to a tee, and was amazed that, two hours later, I was still experiencing NO relief from my symptoms at all. This was discouraging, so ...

• I called my doctor, who told me the OTC version is a lower dosage, and I could safely take two in a 24 hour period. On her advice, I took one pill in the morning and one pill at night. Double dosing did provide a little relief, but for that price, it would have benefited me to simply pay my insurance co-pay and get a prescription that is the sufficient dosage and would last me the entire allergy season.

On the whole, the drug works, but not exactly as promised. Though some who are

more sensitive to the effects of medication might find immediate relief, I discovered that not only did I have to take double the dose of the OTC Claritin, but I also had to supplement that with a nasal spray to find the relief I needed to function during the allergy season. All in all, I recommend it only to those who have no medical insurance and have no other recourse but to buy their medications over-the-counter. With that said, however, I also believe there are less expensive medications available that would work faster and more efficiently.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26507749200831/k2311a075/7.5.09