Ghost Walk by Brian Keene

• by Bookwyrm

This is the second novel that I read by Brian Keene and I must say it was just as good if not better than the first. It’s a fast-moving page-turner and I read the entire book in less than twenty-four hours. The story really gripped me from the beginning and didn’t let go until the shocking end. Once again the author takes us to LeHorn’s Hollow; the dreadfully haunted woods from “Dark Hollow”. In this one a man is busy building a ghost walk through the creepy woods to raise money for charity. It’s supposed to be scary fun with fake creatures set along the trail and people in masks that will leap out at you. Of course, real evil lurks in the woods and is planning how to spoil the Halloween fun. The stakes in this novel are a lot higher and the plot more intense, although it’s not as suspenseful as the first novel. Some of the characters have hard decisions to make, too. The heart of this book is good versus evil at its most basic level. There is magic in the form of “powwow”, too. The book is great fun to read and very entertaining.

I like how the villain in this book is darkness itself. That is,

it’s some very powerful entity that looks like a black cloud. It comes through a partly open doorway in LeHorn’s Hollow and starts snuffing lives out almost right away. It’s very supernatural, of course, and thus impossible to kill with weapons. It makes a great villain, made better because the clock is ticking and there is a very limited amount of time to stop it before it destroys all life on the Earth. It also has the ability to control people, possesses them and it does that to further it’s evil plans. The thing is very smart as well, which is always great in a villain.

I like the goodness that is in several of the characters in this book. Ken Ripple has spent many months of his life planning his ghost walk to raise money for charity. I think that is a great thing to do and a wonderful way to honor his wife’s memory. He’s doing something for unselfish reasons to benefit others, people he doesn’t even know. It’s also a great way to bring the community together and it would provide entertainment for hundreds of people. I also like how Levi Stoltzfus, an ex-Amish man, risks his own life to stop the evil darkness. He knew it would be incredibly ...

• dangerous and although he was frightened, he took on the job anyway. He wouldn’t be paid in any manner, so it was a selfless thing as well. He didn’t do it for fame or fortune but because it was the proper thing to do. Not very many people would do that. I think both characters are great role models.

I really liked the descriptions of the ghost walk in this book. I’ve never been to anything like this before and it does sound like a fun thing to do on Halloween. I thought the giant pterodactyl nest sounded especially cool: I would love to see that! I’m uncertain if I’d enjoy masked people leaping out of the bushes though, especially ones dressed as characters from famous horror movies: that sounds a bit too frightening! Still, it’s a great idea and the author really worked hard on thinking up many neat attractions for the ghost walk in this book.

I also liked that this book continues the story of author Adam Senft, as I was curious as to see what had happened to him. I won’t say what does happen, as that would ruin the story, but it certainly is interesting. He is one of the main characters but his role is slightly smaller this

time.

I liked the detailed descriptions the author thought up for the magic and multi-worlds (where there are many different Earths) in this novel. “Dark Hollow” touched on it a little bit with the doorway the satyr came through and by mentioning the Labyrinth, but this book goes into much greater detail. We learn there are multiple levels in the universe and that the Labyrinth is just one of them. Levi is the Powwow practitioner and we learn most of it from him. It’s very creative and I enjoyed reading this part of the novel. All of these details just make it more believable. I also like that the book uses salt in the powwow to stop evil, as I believe a lot of old superstitions believed that, too.

I especially like how greed for money started the entire thing in this book. A poacher found a large rock with carvings on it in the woods and immediately thought how he could sell it for large sums of money. He knocks it over so he could move it (to his truck) and he opens the gateway for evil. I think it’s quite appropriate way for evil to enter the world on the shoulders of greed and theft.

This novel is the sequel to “Dark Hollow”.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172906744040530/k2311a0629/6.29.09