Bic Cristal Gel Pen in Black (medium)  » Other  »
  • I bought these pens because I was doing a lot of writing on a clip-board on paper that was not always the highest quality (and sometimes also wet)
  • I had picked up some very cheap knockoff gel pens, but most of these were duds, so I decided to go with a brand I knew was usually pretty good - Bic
  • While internet searches show 7-count packs of these retailing for around $5.00-$6.00, I think I got mine for closer to $3.50-$4.00
  • I didn't run into any duds in my package, which was a surprise and relief - I paid more for Bic because many of the packages of cheap gel pens I've bought had more duds than useable pens
  • If you're writing on thin paper, they'll bleed through really badly - the ink also takes several seconds to dry and will smear badly, so I do not recommend these pens for people whose hands tend to brush the paper a lot

• by hanasays

I bought these pens because I was doing a lot of writing on a clip-board on paper that was not always the highest quality (and sometimes also wet). Regular ball-point pens were just not doing the job. I also heard that gel pens were good to use on checks (because the ink cannot be removed by normal means without destroying the check). I had picked up some very cheap knockoff gel pens, but most of these were duds, so I decided to go with a brand I knew was usually pretty good - Bic.

THE PRICE: While internet searches show 7-count packs of these retailing for around $5.00-$6.00, I think I got mine for closer to $3.50-$4.00. If you keep an eye out, sometimes you can find them on sale.

THE PACKAGING/DESIGN: Those who have bought Bic pens in the past (or ball-point pens in general) will recognize the design: this is a clear pen with a hexagonal stock and a pointed cap with a clip on it. The hexagonal stock makes

it easy to grip, and although it doesn’t have any cushions or an ‘ergonimic’ design, it’s a pretty comfortable pen. The cap clip is pretty sturdy, and it’s easy to hook this pen onto your pocket, piece of paper, or clipboard.

The pen stock is clear rigid plastic, so you can see the level of the ink. This is handy, since you won’t be surprised if you suddenly run out of ink. One of the few parts of the pen that is not clear is the tip, which is made of metal, with a metal roller ball. The roller ball is designed well and very rarely clogs. This is a generally sturdy pen.

One of the problems with this rigid plastic design is that plastic is brittle, and while the pen is quite impact-resistant, it can still crack. When it cracks, like any other pen it will leak - and like any other pen, leaking is bad. Like many other disposable ball-point pens, this pen is not refillable.

THE EXPERIENCE: The pen itself is very easy to use and quite comfortable. I didn’t run into any “duds” in my package, which was a surprise and relief - I paid more for Bic because many of the packages of cheap gel pens I’ve bought had more duds than useable pens.

Almost all of the issues I have with this pen have to do with the pen ink. I’ve used gel pens in the past, and while the ink tends to be thicker and heavier than regular ball-point pens, the Bic pens were particularly bad about this. The ink bleeds through paper pretty badly - depending on how thick the paper is, or how much was written, it may be difficult to use both sides of a piece of paper (especially if your notebook paper is thin and cheap). The ink also gets blotchy, it tends to pool (and therefore bleed even worse) while you are writing if you pause for more than a fraction of a second. All of these things may not be a case of ...

• Bic Cristal Gel Pen in Black (medium)
      the ink itself being a problem so much as the roller ball design - it might just let too much ink through. This may be necessary due to how thick the gel pen ink is, and one of the reasons that this pen doesn’t have the clogging issues that I’ve experienced with other gel pens - I don’t know. I just know that it irritates me.

Possibly due to the issues described in the above paragraph, these pens run out of ink very quickly. I didn’t get nearly as much use out of each pen as I expected to. The ink also tends to smear badly, even on paper - if you’re left-handed, don’t buy these pens! You have to give the ink several seconds to dry. I seriously considered actually using a blotter. On the other hand, unlike regular ball-point pens, you don’t really need to worry about these pens drying out.

One of the positive points about these pens is that the line is so smooth. The pen practically glides.

It would be a nice pen to use if the ink didn’t drive me insane. It has worked on almost every kind of paper I’ve tried, including some laminated papers. It will actually write on wet paper, but it bleeds badly. It will write on greasy paper, as well. It hasn’t been very successful writing on stuff like plastic, but it has been good at staining my clothing. And fingers and hands, for that matter. The ink stains things pretty badly - if you’re using these, I don’t recommend wearing anything you mind ruining.

CONCLUSION: If you’re working in nasty conditions, these may actually be pretty good - they’ll write on greasy or wet paper (although on the latter they still bleed really badly), they don’t dry out like other pens, and they’re sturdy and well designed. If you’re writing on thin paper, they’ll bleed through really badly - the ink also takes several seconds to dry and will smear badly, so I do not recommend these pens for people whose hands tend to brush the paper a lot.

Shayna says :

Doesn’t have a good grip when you hold it to write.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 122806742431230/k2311a0628/6.28.09