Excedrin PM  » Medicine  »
  • My one experience with prescription sleeping medication was not so good
  • Finally, I found a solution to the sleeping issue when my mom suggested something she has used over the years
  • Excedrin PM, which unfortunately is only available in the United States, seems to work for on those nights when I am having trouble sleeping through the night, and it also takes away any headache or cramp pain that I am having as well

• by Jessie Bahrey

While I am not a fan of sleeping pills of any kind, as I find they leave me drowsy in the morning and can be addictive, there are times when I find I need something to get a good night’s sleep, especially if I am experiencing some kind of pain. In the past, I suffered, and just took Advil or Tylenol for the pain or injury, and occasionally got desperate enough for a good sleep to take a gravol before bed. My one experience with prescription sleeping medication was not so good; it left me feeling drowsy in the morning, which is almost as bad as feeling exhausted.

I have very good night time

routines, including no caffeine or activity before bed, and I have even tried baths and chamomile tea. Finally, I found a solution to the sleeping issue when my mom suggested something she has used over the years.

Excedrin PM, which unfortunately is only available in the United States, seems to work for on those nights when I am having trouble sleeping through the night, and it also takes away any headache or cramp pain that I am having as well.

The formula Excedrin PM uses is to combine the same type of pain reliever for headaches that is in the regular Excedrin, and adding a drug that promotes sleeping.

When I have an extremely ...

• bad headache or menstrual cramps, I take two tablets about a half hour before bed. Generally, that is enough medicine to keep me sleeping for the entire night, but not enough medicine to make it difficult to wake up the next day or make me drowsy all morning.

Sometimes, if I have a mild headache or stomach ache, or just haven’t slept in a few nights, I only need one tablet. For some reason, there does not seem to be a dependency factor with this item, nor does my body get used to the dose and need more, as is what can happen with strong sleeping medications.

My mom swears by this Excedrin for

her sleep and pain issues. The only down side is that it is just not available in Canada.

I am not sure why, likely the same reason that Aleve is not available in Canada either, except via the prescription Naxopren. Of course, this inconvenience can be solved by either making cross-border shopping trips or knowing someone who travels to and from the States to bring some of these items for you.

Fortunately, I live close enough to the border to make frequent shopping trips, and I always pick up many months’ supplies of these products. I usually find a large bottle of Excedrin for about $8.

99. For my sleeping issues, Excedrin PM is the perfect solution.

Excedrin PM

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262806742301230/k2311a0628/6.28.09