MC Acupuncture Clinic Calgary  » Health  »
4.7
338-9737 Macleod Trail SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • I tend to try to through any medical issues and injuries if I can, and I even avoid going to a traditional doctor, even when I should go
  • I was impressed, as this part of my back had always been sore

• by Jessie Bahrey

I have never tried acupuncture, or any other alternative medicine procedures before, and I never expected to. Even if I ever had such things covered by my medical plan, I admit to being a self-diagnosing and self-curing individual; I tend to try to through any medical issues and injuries if I can, and I even avoid going to a traditional doctor, even when I should go. Various small injuries and aches and pains over the years have usually resulted in me popping an Advil, taking a day off working out, and then going back at it within a short period of time. Perhaps ignoring various nagging injuries and issues is coming back to haunt me, however, as I have been noticing more and more pains associated with working out and running. However, last week, something occurred that changed my stubbornness quickly-for the first time in my life, I put my back out so badly that it seized on my while running, and I literally could not move for days.

After two days of excruciating pain in most positions, and

getting progressively more depressed and frustrated, I did something I have never done before; I took some advice from my husband. Seeing the pain I was in, he suggested that I try acupuncture, and given that there was an acupuncture clinic less than a two minute walk from my apartment, he insisted I try it to ease the pain. The idea of paying money to have someone stick me full of needles was not something I had any intention of doing. I resisted for two days, thinking it would get better, but it didn’t, and by the third day, when I could not sit, stand or walk, I broke down, and called MC Acupuncture Clinic, in Calgary, Alberta.

The receptionist must have heard desperation in my voice, because she told me to come right in without an appointment. I made my way to the clinic, and I was ushered in immediately. The clinic has only one doctor, Dr. Michael Zhao, a registered acupuncturist who speaks with a heavy Chinese accent. The first thing he did after I ...

• lay down on my back was to pinch my ears for a moment, and from this he determined, without me telling him what I had done to my back, that this was an old injury that had been aggravated. I was impressed, as this part of my back had always been sore. Next, the part I was scared of, but it wasn’t so bad-three needles in each hand and several in my sore back muscle-I didn’t feel any of them. I lay on my side for 25 minutes, listening to soothing music, and I almost fell asleep. After 25 minutes, he came back in, applied a suction of some sort to my back, and again left me for 25 minutes. Finally, he came back in, massaged my ears, and instructed me to not lift anything or do any kind of physical activity for a week, and to come back two more times. He said I would be 40% better after two sessions, and 90% after three. I did not feel anything except a bit of a tingly
        ache in that muscle. That night, I was able to roll over without screaming, but the pain was not gone by any means. I was a bit skeptical.

I followed his instructions, and after the next session, I was feeling some relief; and sure enough, after the third session, I finally felt like I might actually be recovering. Each session was exactly the same as the first. The price is $75 per session, but if you buy multiple sessions, there is a discount. Now, this acupuncture is not a miracle cure, like some sort of faith healer. It took time for my back to heal, but the improvement was steady, just as he promised. After the third session, it still took a few days to feel normal, but I am a believer. After speaking to several people, I discovered that most people have positive results with this ancient Chinese medicinal technique. Dr. Michael Zhao at MC Acupuncture Clinic helped me survive and recover from my back injury, and I will be going back again if I am in that situation again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 342706741160930/k2311a0627/6.27.09