Paris travel  » Travel  »
2.5
  • I know everybody sees Paris as the city of love and they say “you never lived” if you haven’t been once in your life in Paris
  • Well … I must say I am not very fond of the experience
  • I can definitely say and underline that it is the most bohemian city in the world
  • There are items on the Champs-Élysées that cost as much as a one way plane ticket from the US to France

• by iqphantom

I was a bit reluctant whether to write this review or not. I know everybody sees Paris as the city of love and they say “you never lived” if you haven’t been once in your life in Paris. Well … I must say I am not very fond of the experience. After reading online all kind of recommendations of places to go and things to see, we found ourselves two adults and two kids visiting the capital city of France on a very rainy April week. I can definitely say and underline that it is the most bohemian city in the world.

Sacre Couer is wrapped around in a multitude of artists all working, painting behind the cathedral, playing music in front of it. Notre Dames is impressive, very impressive I must say, we visited even the tower and my kids were very pleased to see the presumptive residence of Quasimodo. The place was very crowded like every

other tourist target objective everywhere in the world, but still it was educative for our children and for that I am glad. We visited the Eiffel Tower the absolute must for anyone who visits Paris.

The ticket is 4 euros and it is usually very crowded. It was a nice experience although we stepped on each others feet. At Louvre the price was 13 euros/person. It wasn’t expensive considering you can see all exhibitions in this price After waiting in line for a half and hour we finally entered and went to see Mona Lisa.

Too bad there were so many people around it that my husband had to lift the kids on his shoulders to help them see it. The same was with Venus di Milo statue. The Impressionist Gallery is memorable and it left a very important but expected mark on me. Also I left my artist lover heart near the paintings of Michelangelo.

The museum ...

• is large and there are thousands of important masterpieces to be seen so I really suggest those who want to visit it to reserve a day for doing it properly. Now about the French. Well I may be subjective and all but they are terrible. When I say terrible I refer to their behavior, the way they look at tourists, the way they leave garbage and cigarette ash wherever they go and oh…the list may continue.

They don’t like to be addressed in English, either they don’t speak it or they don’t want to. My French was a bit rusty I didn’t want to offend them by torturing their language. The result was I was looked at as a “stupid American” (quotation from a very ”amiable” waiter inside a Paris café from the Latin Quarter) and I was gratified with no response. The French don’t mind living in dirt and urine smell (Paris smells strongly like urine especially

in the tube area).

A tube ticket costs 1,5 euros . The tubes takes you very fast across Paris but one should really watch their pockets and children while traveling. A meal in the Latin Quarter is around 10 euros/person, not much but not good either. The food is expensive in some parts and affordable in others.

For example we ate a pizza for 23 euros near the Eiffel Tower and again a similar pizza for 12 euros near French Disneyland. But maybe the so well praised French food deserves credit eaten somewhere else than Paris. There I didn’t find it spectacular at all. The shops are expensive for a regular pocket.

A scarf was 32 euros, and Chanel perfume 45 euros so I really don’t know if they were worth it. There are items on the Champs-Élysées that cost as much as a one way plane ticket from the US to France. In short Paris is a beautiful city, having a long history and a lot of things worth visiting, but not so civilized as it may seem and a lot dirtier than advertised.

Paris travel

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382606739531130/k2311a0626/6.26.09