Johnny Depp  » People  »
  • I think the rest of the world is just catching up
  • But, as a fan, I know what they are missing
  • The thing that has always impressed me about Depp is he can take pretty much any role and play it flawlessly
  • I was telling my co-workers today that I believe Depp could be cast as a window washer with a 2-minute part and no lines

• by Steve

I’m not a person who will rent or buy a movie just because there is a certain actor or actress in it. And, I’m the last person to obsess over a star just because they are good looking. But, there are some rare actors out there that are so talented, I just can’t help waiting for their next film. Johnny Depp is one of those actors. For the record, I’ve been following Depp since he was a television star on 21 Jump Street and knew he had talent long before Pirates of the Caribbean sent his career skyrocketing.

I think the rest of the world is just catching up. I’m not sure why Hollywood has never really liked him; maybe it’s because he doesn’t spend his time rubbing elbows with other actors and directors. But, as a

fan, I know what they are missing. The thing that has always impressed me about Depp is he can take pretty much any role and play it flawlessly.

And, he manages to add a bit of his personality to the character he is playing that makes the person seem much more real. I was telling my co-workers today that I believe Depp could be cast as a window washer with a 2-minute part and no lines. Yet, by the end of the movie, he would still be the person everyone is talking about. Don’t believe me? His new film, Public Enemies, was filmed (or at least some of the scenes were) in this area.

Everyone talks about Depp coming to town. Nobody ever mentions the other Hollywood stars, including Christian Bale, who were also in town. That ...

• shows just how much charisma he brings. What really wins me over about him though isn’t just what he brings to the big screen.

It’s actually his down-home personality. I was telling my wife, if I knew he would even give it consideration, I would send him an invite to be our daughter’s god parent. I know that seems a bit extreme. But, I think he would be more influential over her life than some of our friends or family members.

Last night’s interview on David Letterman was a great example. Here is this big Hollywood star; one of the biggest today and you would think it was a person they dragged off the street who was nervous in front of the camera. Letterman carried that interview. Depp’s answers were short and to the point; like he

didn’t want to be there at all.

It’s almost as though he’s uncomfortable with his success; the same success that allowed him to buy his own island (which I like the fact he did; to give his girls a place to play without risk of being photographed by strangers) and yacht. I even loved how he said he doesn’t go to see his own movies. You know what, I can respect that. He enjoys making them, not watching them.

I think there are a lot of actors and actresses who should take a lesson from that. I think there is only one star each generation that really sticks out. And, for my generation, Depp has to be that guy. I can only hope he continues to make movies and then, when he’s done, fades off into the sunset the way an actor of his talent should be able to do.

Johnny Depp

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 522606739331130/k2311a0626/6.26.09