Morbid Metals 14 Gauge Red Rose Curved Barbell  » Other  »
  • I ought to know better than to buy my body jewelry at Hot Topic, but this one looked very cute while in the case, so I thought I'd take a chance
  • One of the reasons I bought this was because it was on sale
  • At 2-for-1, it cost me the equivalent of $10.00
  • I don't like how small it is - it's not in danger of slipping through the piercing hole (it would have to be much, much smaller to do that), but I really don't feel that it gives a nice, sturdy base for the rest of the barbell to hang from (if that makes sense)
  • I don't think that I would wear this barbell for an extended period of time, although I suppose there wouldn't be much harm in just wearing it for a few hours

• by hanasays

I ought to know better than to buy my body jewelry at Hot Topic, but this one looked very cute while in the case, so I thought I’d take a chance.

This curved barbell is the sort that you wear in your navel. I can’t see anyone wearing this one anywhere else, so there’s no reason for it to be as flimsy as it seems to be. The thought of somebody with this hanging from their eyebrow makes me chuckle, though.

THE PRICE: One of the reasons I bought this was because it was on sale. At 2-for-1, it cost me the equivalent of $10.00. I bought a red rose dangle and a black rose dangle. For $10.00, it’s not bad, but I would not buy this for full price.

THE EXPERIENCE: To begin with, the barbell itself is a little bit too thin. Most of my other navel rings have been bought at actual piercing parlors or from online distributors I trust, and while

they claim to be the same gauge, the wire is slightly thicker and they are sturdier. Even one I bought from Walmart (another unwise impulse purchase) was sturdier than this. Honestly, this barbell does not look like a full 14 gauge to me - I suppose I could be wrong.

Second, the top bead is slightly too small. I don’t like how small it is - it’s not in danger of slipping through the piercing hole (it would have to be much, much smaller to do that), but I really don’t feel that it gives a nice, sturdy “base” for the rest of the barbell to hang from (if that makes sense). It just doesn’t make me feel secure. It’s in absolutely no danger of just slipping in, but I feel as if the bottom of the barbell snagged that the top bead MIGHT be small enough to get yanked through the hole. That thought makes me cringe.

Third, it is advertised as being ...

• made of “surgical stainless steel”. While I don’t doubt that is, there are actually several grades of surgical stainless steel, and some of them are higher quality than others. I don’t think this is necessarily very high quality, at least compared to some of the other barbells I own. I don’t know if it will make people with allergies break out, since I didn’t wear it long enough to be able to tell.

Finally, when I disinfected it before wearing it, I was shocked to see that the red dye was coming off of the metal and staining my cotton ball! There weren’t any places that it looked as if the dye had come off entirely, so I rinsed it well and figured that perhaps it was just because it was new. However, when I disinfected it again upon taking it out, my cotton ball was still getting stained. I didn’t see any dye on my navel, but for those with dye allergies,

I would be very careful about wearing this barbell. Even for those without dye allergies, do you really want to risk your piercing potentially rejecting over this? I’m not sure.

CONCLUSION: It’s disappointing because, once it’s in, this barbell looks very cute. I still don’t like how the top bead looks, but I could probably switch it out with a different bead. Because it’s so thin, though, it wobbles around a lot more than my other barbells, and I’m not sure if I like that. It also sits lower due to the smaller top bead - I’m not sure if I like that, either. The dye really worries me, and I don’t like how thin the barbell is. I don’t think that I would wear this barbell for an extended period of time, although I suppose there wouldn’t be much harm in just wearing it for a few hours. I’d change it out immediately when I got home, though. And who would sleep wearing a dangle, anyway?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 122406736760930/k2311a0624/6.24.09