Acer Aspire 5520 laptop  » Laptops  »
2.5
  • In terms of hardware performance, I've really had no problem
  • This definitely isn't a gaming rig, the graphics card (GeForce 8400m G, 128 MB) isn't really built for it, but I've found I can get most all of the game I've played previously still run fine on here
  • I've found the best way around it is putting in a normal mouse through a USB attachment and just disabling the darn thing
  • Overall, for the price I paid for this computer at the time I got it, I still think it was a good buy
  • I'd recommend working around Vista too if you can

• by E.S Nobody

I purchased two of these laptops a few Christmases ago for some siblings. For their time period, they’re very decent computers. In terms of hardware performance, I’ve really had no problem.

They both still run very well and can still handle most any software, aside from higher end video games. This definitely isn’t a gaming rig, the graphics card (GeForce 8400m G, 128 MB) isn’t really built for it, but I’ve found I can get most all of the game I’ve played previously still run fine on here.

Some

of the problems I’ve had with the unit are harder to notice by a glance over the hardware. The touch-mouse pad is extremely sensitive.

Its frustrating to be typing and have your hand accidentally brush it and end up typing through the middle of previously entered text or in some cases even have what your writing deleted. I’ve found the best way around it is putting in a normal mouse through a USB attachment and just disabling the darn thing.

Its still a pain though and sometimes its gets pretty frustrating. The keyboard also occasionally lags ...

• and you won’t see what it is you’re typing for a few seconds before it spills itself across the page.

The other major problem I had with this unit was that it comes installed with Windows Vista. If I had had it available I would have cleaned the operating system off (as well as all of the unnecessary pre-installed programs off the moment I received it and installed XP.

Vista is a hog and takes up a whole gig of the 2 gigs of RAM in this unit. I suppose its more a complaint

against Vista than against the laptop, I just with it wasn’t on here because a pain in the arse.

Overall, for the price I paid for this computer at the time I got it, I still think it was a good buy. Even so, for someone shopping for a lower end market laptop I’d check this one off your list.

You’re bound to find better built, lighter and more efficient computers out there that don’t have moronic keyboard and mouse pad wiring/lay outs. I’d recommend working around Vista too if you can.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 632406736590930/k2311a0624/6.24.09