The Basketball Diaries  » Movies  »
  • It remains my favourite movies starring the actor Leonardo DiCaprio to date a part from movies such as Romeo and Juliet with him and Claire Danes
  • I think the movie was a work of art and his acting, a masterpiece which made it even more polished
  • It also starred one of my other favourite actors, Mark Wallberg and I thought the both of them made an amazing combination of charisma and life
  • I would recommend this movie to those who like good drama movies

• by Redtape

I have watched the movie “The Basketball Diaries” several times, but had not known the name of the film up until recently when I watched it again. It is not to be confused with another American film called “Love and Basketball” which has a completely different plot and setting. It remains my favourite movies starring the actor “Leonardo DiCaprio” to date a part from movies such as Romeo and Juliet with him and Claire Danes. I think the movie was a work of art and his acting, a masterpiece which

made it even more polished. It also starred one of my other favourite actors, Mark Wallberg and I thought the both of them made an amazing combination of charisma and life.

The movie takes a different spin on the saying “Idle hands find work for the devil” as it follows the life of a teenage boy Jim Carroll (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his friends in the sixties. They are all on the basketball team at school and seem to have little or no interest in their schoolwork. Their idol, one of the ...

• older boys which used to hang out with them is sick with either cancer or lukemia and has to stay inside, so Jim becomes a sort of ringleader. The movie begins with them making fun of a drug addict who passes by sometimes who offers them anything in order that she can have some money to buy more heroin.

However, after a while the boys begin to play truant in order to play basketball instead of going to school, swim in a local river and in general make trouble. Jim does

all these things as well, but also likes to write in his journal. Eventually they all start to dabble in drugs as well to the point where even Jim himself is kicked out of his house and tries to prostitute himself to men just like the very heroin addict he was mocking in beginning. The tables turn as she starts to make fun of him.

I would recommend this movie to those who like good drama movies. The acting and plot were almost perfect in the movie and the movie itself had me hooked.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112406736420930/k2311a0624/6.24.09