Ferrets as pets  » Pets  »
  • Many people like to look for a unique pet rather than the same old boring cat, dog, rabbit, hamster etc
  • As much fun as I had with them, as they where very lovable and cute I found it was just too much maintenance and with my job working 80+ hours a week

• by Rebeccasx

Many people like to look for a unique pet rather than the same old boring cat, dog, rabbit, hamster etc … a ferret is usually one of the more unique pet ideas.

I used to think I wanted one, and that it would be so cool to have a ferret as it looked like a meercat and was intelligent like a cat. I had seen an abundance of YouTube videos and was over the moon with them. I actually had a friend that owned one, and when I used to go visit him the ferret would come play with me. I thought it was so adorable.

Then I got a pair..

Well, first off you need to have a good size cage. They grow fast

and a starter cage is only good for two months or so. They poo alot, so you got to change their cage often. It reeks, the smell is so nasty I want to puke, and living in a basement with no ventilation or windows was not a good idea. They need to be in a naturally well lit area with windows that can open. Ferrets are smart, mine often broke out of their cage, ran into my room and pooped in all their secret spots. They are VERY active and being young they eat and drink alot so make sure you are keeping an eye on their food supply. Young ferrets are also destructive!! Toys never lasted, they ate the towels I had, when they ...

• broke into my room they eventually made a hole and went exploring in my mattress, and under the carpet. They require a lot of attention, so if you thinking of getting a ferret you need to realize it. I have had many animals, lots of cats and I assumed if I could take good care of them i could have a ferret. A ferret is 10x the work for someone that has never had the opportunity to care for one.

As much fun as I had with them, as they where very lovable and cute I found it was just too much maintenance and with my job working 80+ hours a week. I could not give them the life they deserved so I had to give

them up to a friend that had other ferrets and animals and a bigger house. Last I heard, they where doing good, and loved being around other animals like the family dog and cat. As much as I had done research and thought I knew a lot about ferrets I wasn’t really prepared. For first time ferret owner wannabes I would suggest that in all fairness to the ferret, you babysit one for a week or so. As much as a cool pet as they are, it’s a lot of work. You don’t want to spend all that money ( and trust me, it’s A LOT ) on cages, food, vaccinations etc only to realize you can’t take good care of them and give them up.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292406735530630/k2311a0624/6.24.09