Alloy restaurant Calgary  » Restaurants  »
220 42 Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • According to my friend, she knew many people that had been frequenting Alloy since it first opened 2007, and they really enjoyed it
  • Sure enough, as soon as we walked in, I noticed the truly elegant, upscale décor – slightly minimalist but very chic
  • My favourite feature is the glass wine cellar in the centre of the dining room, which I have never seen before
  • I decided to try the seafood risotto, a bit pricy at $35, and my friend had the monkfish for $32
  • The food arrived quickly, on very nice plates, and it was delicious

• by Jessie Bahrey

One does not expect to find a fine-dining, upscale restaurant in the middle of an industrial area of a city, surrounded by warehouses and offices, but that is exactly what you will find in the southeast area of Calgary, Alberta. Last week, a friend of mine insisted we try a new restaurant her friends were raving about, called Alloy, and although it is very pricey, especially considering its location, it has really nice food and a beautiful interior.

Most of the high-end restaurants in Calgary are either on 17th Avenue or Stephen Avenue in the downtown core. I was surprised as we drove to Alloy to see where we were going, as I had assumed this place would be downtown. Anyway, Alloy is supposedly

a ‘fusion’ style restaurant, but I never really know what that term actually means, as it seems to mean different things in different restaurants. According to my friend, she knew many people that had been frequenting Alloy since it first opened 2007, and they really enjoyed it. She told me that the exterior of the building, an old office building, and the surrounding warehouses, are not indicative of the interior of the restaurant. Sure enough, as soon as we walked in, I noticed the truly elegant, upscale décor – slightly minimalist but very chic. The booths are white, the floor is marble, and there are beautiful trees and shrubs everywhere. My favourite feature is the glass wine cellar in the centre of the ...

• dining room, which I have never seen before. Our server was great as well, she knew the menu, and was attentive and friendly and efficient.

As I examined the menu, I noticed a decent wine list, and the food was a bit of a mix of seafood and other meats with an Asian touch. Some of the meals are available in small or large portions, with the large ones priced at $25-$40, and the appetizers, which I really thought were creative, were reasonably priced. For example, the ahi tartar was $12, and that was the most expensive appetizer on the menu. The seafood entrées included lamb, seafood and beef selections. As soon as I saw that one of the entrées was a lamb

trio, or lamb done three ways, I knew I had to bring my husband here, as he is a big lamb fan. I decided to try the seafood risotto, a bit pricy at $35, and my friend had the monkfish for $32. The food arrived quickly, on very nice plates, and it was delicious. The risotto had enough shellfish to satisfy me, and the portion was large. The monkfish was moist, as it should be and often isn’t at restaurants, and our choice of wine, Argentinean merlot, was great. The ambience is certainly upscale but still comfortably casual, and we greatly enjoyed our evening. Alloy is a very beautiful restaurant with good food, great service and decent prices, and well worth a visit.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72106733830130/k2311a0621/6.21.09