TOTM (Tailored Operational Training Meal)  » Food  »
  • I thought it would be a good idea to see how the boys reacted to the new style meals and see for my self if they had really improved them as far as taste and appeal from when I was in the Army
  • I like the heaters where you just add a tiny amount of water to have a hot meal

• by sadonna

Last week I took our boy scout troop camping in the gorge close to my home for a few days. My sister saved me some of the new style MRE’s to use as lunch on our camping trip however the new one’s are called TOTM. It stands for Tailored Operational Training Meal.

They come in a clear plastic wrapper where the old MRE’s came in a brown plastic wrapper. They did not have the toilet paper and matches like the ones I was used to in the army.

I thought it would be

a good idea to see how the boys reacted to the new style meals and see for my self if they had really improved them as far as taste and appeal from when I was in the Army. I used to not like the old MRE’s and would rarely eat anything other than the crackers and peanut butter and maybe the pound cake.

The new TOTM ones seem to have a different selection of main entrees and they have changed other contenst such as the drinks as well. They still have two pieces ...

• of gum a spoon to eat with, and usually come with some type of M&M’s.

They do not all have crackers though like the old ones but do contain a wet pack of fruit instead of dried fruit. The pears in mine were actually very good.

I choose the beef ravioli entrée. I like the heaters where you just add a tiny amount of water to have a hot meal.

That is one of the things that make these great for backpacking. The ravioli was ok by my standards which is much better

than before.

I ate half the pack but was too full to eat it all. It seems that they have increased the size of the rations over previous older versions.

Each of the boys that tried it were pleasantly surprised that the meals tasted pretty good. They were intrigued by the heater and how it worked.

I like the fact that they are safer to operate than some of the backpacking stoves. So overall I would have to say they have come a long way with these new meals since my days in the Army.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272106733511230/k2311a0621/6.21.09