Playhouse 1960 Houston TX theater  » Theatre  »
2.0
6814 Gant Road Houston, Texas 77066
  • Overall the theater looked decent upon entering, I thought they had a decent show in store both times, but I turned out to be wrong
  • The entrance to this play was pretty decent, and I couldn't complain at that point, but as soon as I took my seat in the audience I noticed the set was severely lacking structure, and they were already off to a bad start
  • I wouldn't recommend this theater for you, unless you are just looking for a cheap show for some reason, because the overall performance was lacking

• by misterx

I’ve been to this theater a two times, and although it is relatively cheap, I am not satisfied with the shows I have seen.

Overall the theater looked decent upon entering, I thought they had a decent show in store both times, but I turned out to be wrong. The entrance to this play was pretty decent, and I couldn’t complain at that point, but as soon as I took my seat in the audience I noticed the set was severely lacking structure, and they were already off to

a bad start. They had trouble making things look realistic. Even the wallpaper in their set looked and was fake, as if it was too much trouble to make that look decent. The lighting was nothing to brag about either, it was undirected and just generally lit up the whole set. Wow?

I wish I could say that despite the set issues, the acting blew my mind, but it about matched the set. It would seem they either picked the first few people to audition, or they just happened ...

• to get a load of horrible actors auditioning there. All actions seemed automated and not believably real. The voices and conversations seemed out of place, as if they had just memorized the script and were reading it off the inside of their mind.

I eventually made the conclusion that this was a smaller and cheaper theater that did accept almost any actor, especially after noticing a large part of the audience consisted only of family members of those who were in the play, rather than real and legit

audience members there because they wanted to see a good play.

The only positive thing I could say is that there were one or two decent actors who seemed to have it together. They seemed fit for the role and did an excellent job, but this in the end made little difference, as everything else had already ruined the show for me.

I wouldn’t recommend this theater for you, unless you are just looking for a cheap show for some reason, because the overall performance was lacking. I’d suggest you look elsewhere.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 322106733371230/k2311a0621/6.21.09