The Digital Photography Handbook by Doug Harman (2008 edition)  » Books  »
  • I've been interested in photography lately so I decided to buy a book about it
  • The book is just the size of a thick notebook so it's not really big which I like since I can easily take it with me anywhere
  • I would say I learned quite a lot about technique when I read this section
  • I highly recommend this book if you're just starting on photography or if you want to take your very basic photography skills to the next level

• by 6Clix

I’ve been interested in photography lately so I decided to buy a book about it. Since I’m new to photography and don’t know anything about it, I wanted a book that’s for beginners, something that’s not too technical and would explain the subject in an easy to understand manner. So I went to the bookstore and found a book by Doug Harman entitled The Digital Photography Handbook, 2008 edition.

The book is just the size of a thick notebook so it’s not really big which I like since I can easily take it with me anywhere. As stated on its cover, the book is an illustrated step-by-step guide from choosing your camera to using advanced

digital techniques. This book is exactly what I’m looking for, something that’s easy to read and covers a large aspect about photography.

The first chapter or section of the book discusses the gadgets and gear you need to get started with photography. The most important equipment you need is a camera of course and this section discusses the pros and cons of digital cameras as well as aspects about it like pixels, view finder, etc., as well as the different kinds of digital cameras available like dslr’s and point-and-shoot. Other equipments like camera flash, tripods, computers, software, and lenses are also discussed.

The second section is about technique and photography ideas. Basic techniques like composition,

• focus, depth of field, exposure and close-ups are discussed. The section also gives ideas on what to photograph such as landscapes, architecture, portraits and people,weddings, and abstracts. I would say I learned quite a lot about technique when I read this section. The techniques discussed might not be advanced but it’s good enough for beginners or even intermediate photographers.

The third section discusses basic digital techniques such as cropping, straightening, resizing, sharpening, brightening and darkening as well as using editing software like Adobe’s Photoshop. It discusses several advanced digital techniques as well such as color management, levels, curves channels, cloning,and layers. This section is very informative since it actually shows you how to

use Adobe’s Photoshop Elements 3.

The fourth section is about backing-up your photos, printing, scanning creating slide shows and creating a photo website. It also gives some tips on how to make a portfolio and how to start earning money with your photographs.

This book is very informative and gives lots of tips on photography. I would say this book is all you need to get started taking great pictures. It also has lots of photographs and graphic examples on what and what not to do when taking pictures. I highly recommend this book if you’re just starting on photography or if you want to take your very basic photography skills to the next level.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172006731770130/k2311a0620/6.20.09