The Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808 (Reissue)
  • I tested it with my Godin Freeway Classic electric guitar and what I noticed was the TS808 retained the tone of the guitar while giving it a slightly overdriven sound
  • I now know what the fuzz is about this amazing guitar effects pedal

• by 6Clix

The Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808 is one of the most sought after guitar effects pedals in the world. This overdrive pedal first came out in the 1970’s and was popularized by Stevie Ray Vaughn. The TS808 was discontinued in the 1980’s but has been reissued several times due to its immense popularity. I was able to try out my friend’s post 2004 reissue TS808 and I can say it is a very good sounding effects pedal indeed.

The TS808 reissue basically looks similar to the original TS808. It has retained the original’s iconic square-shaped footswitch and color, though the color is of a slightly different shade than the original. It also uses the same chip as the original, the JRC4558D chip.

Several reissues in the past used different chips but the JRC4558D is regarded as the key to the TS808 sound thus, those reissues that used different chips didn’t really sound very good.

The TS808 is a very simple effects pedal having only three knobs for overdrive, tone, and level. It can be powered via a 9-volt battery or an external power supply. The unit ships with a power supply adaptor which allows for the use of generic power supplies if you don’t happen to have an Ibanez power supply. I tested it using a 9-volt battery on a 15-watt as well as a 50-watt solidstate amplifier.

Some say the TS808 would only sound good if used with a tube amplifier but it ...

• sounded awesome when I tested it with a solidstate amplifier. I tested it with my Godin Freeway Classic electric guitar and what I noticed was the TS808 retained the tone of the guitar while giving it a slightly overdriven sound. It increased the guitar’s sustain while retaining its tone. In fact, the sound produced almost sounded like the guitar played clean but with added sustain.

It does boost the midrange slightly allowing the tone to stand out making it heard above other instruments. I just love the sound it produced through the 15-watt and 50-watt amps. The TS808 actually made me love the tone of my guitar even more and playing just became much more enjoyable. I now know what

the fuzz is about this amazing guitar effects pedal.

The TS808 is indeed a great sounding effects pedal. Some people complain that it doesn’t have enough gain or distortion but it’s not suppose to be a heavily distorted effects pedal. It’s an overdrive pedal and I can now see why some if not most players use it as a signal boost instead of a stand alone overdrive pedal. It can actually be used with an effects pedal with heavier distortion to accentuate its mid range for soloing purposes, giving the guitar’s tone a boost and more presence. There’s a lot hype about the TS808 being a great pedal. When I tested the TS808, I can say it has lived up to the hype.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 162006731721230/k2311a0620/6.20.09