Daily Citizen  » Media  »
2.0
Beaver Dam, WI
  • Years ago, it was the best source for local news
  • I think we get skipped every other week and, when it is delivered, there is no effort to put it by the door or to protect it from rain or snow

• by Steve

My parents are out of town until tomorrow and, because I’ve been checking on their house daily, they told me I could take home their newspaper rather than letting the papers stack up on their table. Because of this, I have had a chance to look at the Daily Citizen on an almost daily basis for the past week. I won’t subscribe to it. Years ago, it was the best source for local news.

Today, I feel it is one of the worse sources. I’m better off listening to the radio because there is much better reporting there than the paper. Sure, there is local news inside it; if you live in Columbus or some other surrounding community.

But, when it comes to news here in Beaver Dam, the articles are kind of limited. I’m going to give you a couple examples. Recently, the local Movie Gallery had

a fire.

It wasn’t a serious fire but it was enough where it did some damage to the sign up front and shut down a couple businesses (like Dominos) for a while because the fire trucks were in the way. I opened the paper yesterday expecting that to be a front page story but they didn’t even have any pictures. Instead there was some other story that apparently wasn’t very memorable because I can’t remember what it was.

Another example I’ll give you took place about this time last year. We had a bunch of rain and, as a result, there was flooding all over Wisconsin. Columbus got it first and everyone was concentrating their efforts there, including the newspaper.

But, I live below the dam here in town and the water was slowly creeping toward my back porch. Not only did the city officials not seem to ...

• care, there wasn’t one news story talking about the potential flooding right here in town until the sandbags were finally in place because the water was almost in the homes. The newspaper is located just a few blocks away and would have to pass this section of town if it sent reporters or photographers to Columbus so why is it Columbus got a lot more print time than the local flooding? That’s not a local paper, that’s a paper that has its office locally but could care less about local news.

There is one other reason why I refuse to subscribe to the paper that is a bit more personal in nature. I hate the paperboy that works in our neighborhood. I honestly don’t even know the kid that well but I watch him deliver papers to the neighbors and he flings them at the homes, missing the

porches half the time and doesn’t care if the paper lands in a puddle or in the bushes, etc.

In fact, we get the free Monday Mini and Tri County papers that are supposed to be delivered to everyone. I think we get skipped every other week and, when it is delivered, there is no effort to put it by the door or to protect it from rain or snow. Why in the world would I trust him to deliver a paper to me that I was paying for?

If I do decide to subscribe to the Citizen down the road, it will likely only be the Saturday paper.

And, the only reason I would do that is the coupons inside it. Of course, I could get just about any weekend paper and be able to get the coupons so maybe I’ll subscribe to the Milwaukee Journal instead. Who knows, maybe they’ll have more local news in it.

Daily Citizen

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 392006731221230/k2311a0620/6.20.09