Ronco Chop O Matic
2.5
  • At least, that it what I thought back then
  • Little did I know, but in the long run I should have realized, that there was a reason for its falling price range

• by selphiealmasy8

For a long time now, I have been thinking about buying a certain type of cooking utensil to make chopping up vegetables more simple. I have long suffered the effects of onions as they relinquish their solid state for something easier to eat and to compliment any number of food dish ala chili or even a regular sandwich. Relying on a knife was effective, I well knew, but it couldn’t really compare to the speed and precision of a food chopper. At least, that it what I thought back then.

When I saw that my local Giant Tiger had a machine called a Chop O Matic I was ecstatic. Well. I was ecstatic except for the price. Though it was around Christmas time the price was still a little bit high for me so I ended up waiting until it went

on sale. The first time it appeared for a lower price, I still waited, hoping that it would go even cheaper. When it did, recently, I purchased it right away. Little did I know, but in the long run I should have realized, that there was a reason for its falling price range.

I was in a rush to use the Chop O Matic but I didn’t really find the opportunity to until the next day. I had been hoping to use it to chop the onions, which had long been lying dormat in my food crisper, but alas, we were having soup that night, one that onions didn’t exactly suit. I spent the night reading the instructions, which weren’t long but did explain how to clean the Chop O Matic. The cleaning instructions were simple except for the part where ...

• it stated that I would need to use a paper clip to align the cutting blades up properly. I thought that sounded a little odd and I’m still a little unsure of how to do that part.

Not that I would ever need to clean it.

The next day, when using it, I discovered the reason why the Chop O Matic was continually going on sale: It didn’t work all that well. A more approriate name for the device would have been the Squish O Matic. At first, I thought it was that I was not pressing down on the push part of the instrument. This soon was crossed out when I went through about 5 onions, finding the same result each time. The food, including the few soft olives I tried, was not chopped up in any way but more squished,

often sticking to the blades. The rotating device was also a failure. The box claims that with a simple tap it will turn. This is not the case. You usually have to rotate it by turning it, not simply by tapping.

By the time I had wrecked several items of food, I had come to the sad revelation that the amount I had spent on the Chop O Matic had all been in vain. My only comfort was that I hadn’t spent the full price on the darn thing. The Ronco Chop O Matic is no comparison to the effectiveness of a good sharp knife. It may be the hard way of doing things these days but you get the results you need.

I have relegated the Chop O Matic back to it’s box until I need to squish food instead of chopping it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532006730410930/k2311a0620/6.20.09