Monty’s Crab Shack and Grill Calgary  » Restaurants  »
4804 Edmonton Trail NE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • We chose this restaurant because seafood in general, and crab in particular, is my favourite type of food, so the name of Monty's sounded pretty great
  • The menu has a great variety of items, and there are some uniquely Albertan entrees such as bison ribs that sound delicious
  • It was some of the best seafood I have tasted in Canada

• by Jessie Bahrey

Monty’s Crab Shack and Grill in Calgary, Alberta, is certainly not like I had imagined a hotel restaurant (it is located in the Quality Hotel Airport), or even a ’shack and grill’ restaurant to be. I expected a pub or bar style place, with long tables and a Western theme in the decor. Right after we walked through the front door, I realized my expectations were completely wrong; instead of a bar and grill-style place, Monty’s resembles an upscale lounge, with dark wood floor and paneling, stone accents, and soft pot lights, all adding to an elegant but comfortable ambience.

We chose this restaurant

because seafood in general, and crab in particular, is my favourite type of food, so the name of Monty’s sounded pretty great. We were seated quickly, and our drinks came right away.

The service was very fast and efficient. There seemed to be a range of patrons, from business people staying at the hotel, a few families, and couples of all ages.

The menu really does emphasize crab entrees and appetizers, as well as several steak, lamb and chicken dishes. There are also some pasta meals, traditional and unique appetizers, soups, salads and sandwiches.

The menu has a great variety of items, and there ...

• are some uniquely Albertan entrees such as bison ribs that sound delicious. The prices are reasonable as well; the appetizers and sandwiches range from $8-$15, and the meals range from $15 for pasta and up to $35 for a couple of the steak entrees.

We narrowed down our choices down to the seafood dishes, and finally decided on sharing the Monty’s Mixed Platter, for $40, and ordered an appetizer of mussels and clams to start, priced at $12. The appetizer came quickly, and was great-although the mussels and clams were simply steamed, the Creole sauce was spicy and delicious, and there was plenty of

food.

Shortly afterward, our mixed platter came, and it was a huge-it may have fed three people. There were spicy chicken skewers, buttery prawns, crab legs and whitefish deep fried in beer batter.

It was some of the best seafood I have tasted in Canada. The portion of our platter was generous, and we saw that the entrees on the tables around us were also large.

There are three or four other platters available, including a Louisiana type combination, which I want to try next time. Monty’s Crab Shack and Grill serves delicious, diverse meals for a great price, and the service is excellent.

I will definitely be returning often.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72006730370930/k2311a0620/6.20.09