JAROblue Tapas and Lounge restaurant Calgary  » Restaurants  »
1314 17th Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Along 17th Avenue in downtown Calgary, there are many high-end and interesting restaurants, pubs and lounges
  • I fully expected some wonderful Spanish appetizers, much like I had enjoyed in Spain, so we made a reservation
  • My favourite feature is the numerous pictures of wild horses throughout the restaurant, and our server told us that these works of art are from a famous artist who only paints wild horses
  • While the wine menu is great, and has a huge variety of both old and new world wines, the tapas menu did not resemble, in any way, my experience with Spanish tapas in Europe or South America
  • The food was tasty and delicious, and the $20 plate was more than enough for one person

• by Jessie Bahrey

Along 17th Avenue in downtown Calgary, there are many high-end and interesting restaurants, pubs and lounges. It is usually ‘the’ place to open a dining establishment in the city. Now that I am working and living in Calgary for a few months, I wanted to try new restaurants or restaurants that I wanted to try years ago when I was here previously, but did not get around to it. As I have been a huge fan of tapas, or ‘little dishes’ in Spanish, since my first trip to Spain, (I even bought a tapas cookbook on my trip and frequently prepare my own tapas), I wanted to try a new restaurant called JAROblue Tapas and Lounge. I fully expected some wonderful Spanish appetizers, much like I had enjoyed in Spain, so we made a reservation.

Upon entering the restaurant, we were truly blown

away by the gorgeous interior; it looks like an upscale, funky lounge with dark wood walls, floors and tables, soft, muted lighting, plush velvet booths, and a dark strip of deep red along the ceiling. It is exactly the style and décor that I would choose if opening a luxury lounge. My favourite feature is the numerous pictures of wild horses throughout the restaurant, and our server told us that these works of art are from a famous artist who only paints wild horses. We were seated right away, and the hostess and servers are all dressed very nicely, and are friendly and efficient.

The menu, however, was disappointing to me. While the wine menu is great, and has a huge variety of both old and new world wines, the tapas menu did not resemble, in any way, my experience with Spanish tapas in ...

• Europe or South America. The only dishes that were familiar to me were bruschetta, which the Spanish actually adopted from the Italians, and grilled asparagus, which is something I make myself. The menu is divided by price point-one section is $8, one is $13, one is $15 and then there is a combination plate, which the chef chooses, for either $20 or $30 per person, depending on how hungry you are. Now, in Spain, the tapas are $1-4 US, and usually are little plates with anywhere from 2-10 of the items on them. At JAROblue, there were some decidedly non-Spanish choices, such as lamb, duck and frogs’ legs, and while there were some interesting items on the menu, it is not really Spanish. We decided to share two $20 combination plates, which was served on gorgeous plates in a timely manner. Included was
        saffron shrimp, (saffron is Spanish, so that was good), grilled lamb chops, beef tartar, marinated olives, chili calamari and soy beans. We also had some Spanish Shiraz, which was good. The food was tasty and delicious, and the $20 plate was more than enough for one person. We greatly enjoyed the meal as well as the surroundings.

So, JAROblue is not a true Spanish tapas bar, but the food is very good, and the restaurant is really gorgeous. The service is excellent, and although the food is pricey, the portions are large for a high-end restaurant. I would go back, because there is a variety of interesting items on the menu, but if you are looking for an authentic Spanish tapas bar, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for good food in a pretty environment, than JAROblue is the perfect restaurant to visit.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 71906730350730/k2311a0619/6.19.09