Yanapuma Spanish School, Quito, Ecuador  » Education  »
Veintimilla E8-125 y 6 de Diciembre
  • When I decided to make some time to learn Spanish in Quito the next step was to find a school
  • After a few months of research I found the Yanapuma Spanish School

• by FinnMccool

Ecuador is considered to be one of the easiest places to learn Spanish because of the clarity of the speech of the people. When I decided to make some time to learn Spanish in Quito the next step was to find a school. After a few months of research I found the Yanapuma Spanish School. The school´s profits are fed into The Yanapuma Foundation. The Foundation is highly active in helping those in need in Ecuador and places students in volunteer positions if desired.

The location of the school is ideal as it is located in the center of the

new town in Quito. I found it safe to walk to and easy to find. The lessons took place inside a third story open enviroment with plenty of light that made me comfortable.

I started from scratch at Yanapuma. I knew a few words and numbers and my vocabulary consisted of hello, goodbye, and beer! Having spent a considerable amount of time in Ecuador since taking classes I feel that the school exceeded itself in helping me learn the language.

I signed up for twenty hours a week of one on one tutoring for four hours a day. My teacher was ...

• an Ecuadorian who studied languages at University. She could push me when I needed it but was patient as well. Every day we would build on the previous day’s lesson. Everything was said or asked in Spanish.

Over three weeks time my vocabulary increased and my grammar improved. This came out of a process of holding conversations in Spanish for part of the lesson and learning specific parts of speech that wouldn´t become clear to me until months later.

What stands out about The Yanapuma Spanish School to me after actively trying to speak the language in everyday life is the environment

and professionalism. In a one on one setting it was challenging to speak a new language but also integral towards sorting it out while gaining confidence.

Spanish is a language that must be practiced to be understood. My teacher was adamant that I try to use words and verbs that I hardly understood and could deftly guide me to connect concepts that I didn´t realize compared to English and speech.

Yanapuma has flexible and competitive rates and the staff are easily reached through their website. http://www.yanapumaspanish.org. After attending a few other schools in Quito I still do not hesitate to send people their way.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501906730270730/k2311a0619/6.19.09