Letters to A Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
  • What I love about this book is that it cuts across the years and still speaks to the heart of every young writer
  • I agree with the author in first asking if you have the passion to do something
  • And they never consider that it is all hard work
  • I highly recommend Letters to a Young Poet to anyone who wants to get really serious with writing

• by tsimon

I first encountered this book when I enrolled in a creative writing class in college. I wanted to learn as much about being a writer and Letters to A Young Poet fast became one of my favorites.

What I love about this book is that it cuts across the years and still speaks to the heart of every young writer. Rilke does not

say what makes a poem bad or good. Rather, he challenges the young writer if he himself is good enough to be a writer. I agree with the author in first asking if you have the passion to do something. Even today, a lot of young artists still want to pursue what they’re doing because they think it’s glamorous. And they never ...

• consider that it is all hard work.

You don’t have to be in a writing class to understand the book. It’s actually a collection of letters and is very thin. I often imagine that Rilke has addressed the letters to me personally.

I highly recommend Letters to a Young Poet to anyone who wants to get really serious with writing. I often go back to

this to help me remember why I write.

Letters to a Young Poet didn’t teach me a formula for writing better poems. Neither did it show me any techniques. It has challenged me to find purpose in what I do. It has helped me keep writing and believe that it is a worthwhile task –even if it won’t make me rich (at least not yet).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171906730180630/k2311a0619/6.19.09