Les Paul & Friends “American Made World Played”  » Music  »
  • I found this gem quite by accident, and it remains my all-time favourite blues CD
  • Iconic musicians such as Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Eric Clapton, Peter Frampton, Sam Cooke, Keith Richards, Richie Sambora, and Steve Miller team up with Paul s amazing guitar work

• by Jessie Bahrey

If you are a fan of blues music like I am, than you will find the cd “American Made World Played” by Les Paul and a wonderful lineup of other musicians as awesome as I do. I found this gem quite by accident, and it remains my all-time favourite blues CD. But what makes this CD so unique is that, although most of the songs are well-known hits from the past, they are performed by combinations of musicians performing together, so that the end result is songs that sound completely new and fresh and different from the original hit. Even hard-rocking songs have been re-worked in a blues-style piece, so even though I knew most of the songs very well, this CD offers the listener a completely different take on the classics.

Les Paul, the legendary father of the electric guitar, assembles a group of friends, almost all of

them big names themselves, for this album. Iconic musicians such as Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Eric Clapton, Peter Frampton, Sam Cooke, Keith Richards, Richie Sambora, and Steve Miller team up with Paul”s amazing guitar work. There are songs that are rock and roll hits from the past, such as “Fly like an Eagle” and “Bad Case of Loving You,” as well some old blues tunes such as “Good Morning Little Schoolgirl.” I first heard this CD while I was on a picket line a few years ago; a fellow picketer was telling me about his many trips to New Orleans and the music of the local artists that he was able to hear. He told me about a compilation CD that had a woman who he had heard playing in that city who had the most amazing Janis Joplin-like voice, who sang the blues like he had never heard.

• He then suggested that I take his MP3 player and listen to this entire CD. I was appalled that someone knew more about this music than I did, so I plugged in and listened. Well, after the first few chords, I was practically dancing in circles on the picket line, and I pretty much waved at him and walked in the other direction, telling him I would return his music to him later. Later turned into two hours later; this CD was simply the best CD I had ever heard. The woman he spoke of is Beth Hart, and on this album she sings “I Wanna Know You,” which is a beautiful tune. I was hooked, and after reluctantly returning his MP3 player to him, I walked over the nearest music store and bought the only copy they had in stock.

I have never grown tired of listening

to this CD. From ballads, hard rocking songs, and dreamy blues songs, each one has Les Paul”s signature guitar work and a bluesy edge. Steve Miller”s “Fly Like an Eagle” is better than his original hit, and Peter Frampton”s “So Into You” is like a completely new song. My favourite song on the entire CD, which is saying something, is “Somebody to Ease My Troubling Mind,” performed by Sam Cooke and Eric Clapton; it is a soulful blues number that will make you wish you were hearing them play it live. Most of my friends have bought the CD or downloaded it from iTunes, and every one of them is blown away by it. Although it has not had a lot of attention as far as advertising, Les Paul & Friends “American Made World Played” is a wonderful collection of great music that you will want to play over and over again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141906730090630/k2311a0619/6.19.09