Dead Like Me: Pilot  » TV  »
  • It aired for two seasons on Showtime, so it's definitely adult in nature
  • Looking beyond that at the show itself, there are some interesting aspects to it
  • The show is about life after life, but it's not a heavenly show, and maybe that's where my problem is

• by Orrymain

Dead Like Me is a very different series. It aired for two seasons on Showtime, so it’s definitely adult in nature. This is why it won’t be as well liked by me as it might be otherwise. In the pilot, which is the subject of this review, there was just certain subject matter that I didn’t appreciate. Certain jokes or off-hand remarks just aren’t my style, and there’s the use of profanity that I never enjoy in any medium that I’m listening to.

Looking beyond

that at the show itself, there are some interesting aspects to it. Then again, it’s a bit disconcerting. The show is about life after life, but it’s not a heavenly show, and maybe that’s where my problem is. This isn’t Touched by an Angel. This is dealing with grim reapers.

A teenager, Georgia ‘George’ Lass, who is rather apathetic about everything. She has no relationship with her parents and her sister is invisible to her. She just never smiles. She quit college ...

• and was fired from her first temporary job almost the minute she got it. Then, George is killed and becomes a dead person. She’s approached by Mandy Patinkin, who becomes her mentor, I suppose or maybe a surrogate father.

What follows is George’s introduction into the art of grim reaping until she’s finally told that she has to conduct her first solo mission as one of the un-dead. I had an immediate reaction when the victim was a little girl. It set off alarm bells

that maybe I should just turn this show off. What happens next is unexpected and also somewhat interesting.

I’m still uncertain about this show. With a cast that includes Jasmine Guy, there’s some strong acting going on and had the subject matter been tweaked slightly, I’m pretty sure I’d be a big fan. As it is, I’m in a holding pattern. I have the entire series to view, so we’ll see how the themes go in the future. Perhaps not everything is as it seems.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101806729901230/k2311a0618/6.18.09