Maclin Ford dealership Calgary  » Cars  »
135 Glendeer Circle SE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Finally, though, I found a Ford dealership where the people were relatively knowledgeable, and the lot actually contained some new vehicles

• by Jessie Bahrey

My search for a new vehicle has taken me to numerous dealerships in both BC and in Alberta, and there are certainly huge differences in prices, customer service and financing options. Until I went to Maclin Ford in Calgary, Alberta, my opinion of domestic dealerships was much poorer than the foreign dealerships. Finally, though, I found a Ford dealership where the people were relatively knowledgeable, and the lot actually contained some new vehicles!

We walked into the Maclin showroom, and wandered around looking at a few vehicles; obviously, the new GT caught our eye but it was slightly out of our price range. We did not catch the attention of any salesperson right away, so we wandered out onto the very large lot, and managed to find two 2009 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Editions, which is the model we were interested

in, and we were able to read the specs and look at the exterior. We then were approached by a salesman, who immediately opened one of the Explorers so we could look inside. We asked him about incentives, as there have been many manufacturers’ and dealers’ incentives at all the other dealerships we have been too. He was either not forthcoming, or perhaps didn’t know, but he immediately left to ask someone, so we did appreciate that for sure-so much better than if he was just guessing! He came back to say that the dealership’s ‘money man’ as I call them, would be free to discuss financing and pricing right away, but he did ask us for specifics as far as our wish list went. We told him what we wanted, and then we followed him into an office to ...

• speak dollars.

I really don’t mind speaking to another person if they are the ones who deal with the financing and pricing issues. I far prefer that to salespeople trying to talk about things they know little about. We had been quite specific on our needs-we wanted a 2009 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition in a colour other than blue or green, and we wanted to find out both the financing and the leasing options. Our salesperson introduced us to the money guy, related to him our wish list, and then left us to him. We discovered that Ford is one of the few dealerships that offer leasing as an option anymore, and he got right to the pricing. The Explorer we were looking at was $52,000, with some $3,000 off for incentives. We were surprised at the price, given that

the economy is so poor, and also most of the other dealerships were offering much more in incentives. Anyway, the money guy was very honest, telling us that this model was going to be out of our price range in both the leasing and the financing options. We were impressed with his honesty. He did, however, offer to take care of the last month’s lease payment of our current vehicle, so at least he did attempt to ‘sweeten the deal’ so to speak. We ended up not getting this vehicle, but the employees at Maclin Ford were honest and knowledgeable, there were plenty of all the makes and models available on their lot, and we felt as if we had been taken care of. The prices are a bit high, but that is likely out of the control of the individual dealerships.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91806729411130/k2311a0618/6.18.09