Cox Cable Internet
2.5
Windsor Locks, CT
  • While the offpeak throughput is ridiculously fast, more and more I've noticed a slooow down during peak hours as in early evenings
  • As with most calls to customer service, the problem is YOU, not their system

• by geo06096

I have Cox highspeed internet. I’ve had cable internet for while and have not had any problems until the last 2 years or so. While the offpeak throughput is ridiculously fast, more and more I’ve noticed a slooow down during peak hours as in early evenings. Our first inkling was the slowing down of Cox’S webmail. It seems like Cox has not

upgraded the infrastructure serving my area.

As with most calls to customer service, the problem is YOU, not their system. I pity the folks who call and are told their PC’s must have a problem and they should “recover” or reinstall Windows, and proceed to blow an entire day doing so. The other constant is it must be your inside wiring, it never is the system at fault :-)

Unwilling to suffer any further, I called Cox and they said they would send a technician over. The tech came, saw nothing wrong. At a loss, he checked the signal strength of my incoming cable connection. He said my incoming signal level was too high for my cable modem and proceeded to install an attenuator. He said that ...

• Cox Cable Internet
      should do it. I didn’t notice any a difference. However, on my next bill I saw a $75 charge!

I am changing over to 6 mb DSL - steady eddie will be just fine. Neighbors who use DSL do not report throughput problems. I just need to complete transitioning several personal websites to another hosting site. The family have all changed to gmail.

I would

have cut-off all business with Cox Cable where it not for my basic cable service for the TV’s in the house. I just don’t care for a dish on the roof and numerous cables and boxes for each household TV set.

To be fair, not everyone seems to be affected by peak use slowdowns. I have acquaintances in town who are perfectly satisfied with their internet connection.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 211706728640530/k2311a0617/6.17.09