Janumet 50/1000 MG for Diabetes  » Medicine  »

• by nlhouser

At 60 years of age, I had recently been diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 with a count over 400, with normal being around 100. Wanting to quickly lower my number, my doctor finally had prescribed Janumet 50/1000 MG for me twice a day (morning and at night) after I had already been on other diabetic medicines with very slow lowering of my

numbers. This was used in a combination with Actos 45 MG once a day which I had also been on before with my other diabetic medications.

I had to monitor my sugar four times a day for several months until the numbers not only went down but stayed down. By the time I had been on the medicine for one year, my ...

• numbers were down to 100 and I was only monitoring my sugar early in the morning after a long time fast. When I talked to my doctor about going on a lower-priced diabetic medicine, she said I would never be able to control my diabetes the way I needed without taking Janumet. Without it, I probably would have died or had to
        take shots all the time to control my diabetes.

At the time of my diagnosis, I had just had a major abdomen surgery and had not been able to work for two years. With no money and unable to afford any medication, the Janumet prescribers worked with me and sent me one year of free medication until I could get on my feet.

Tuan says :

How is your blood sugar level now?

nlhouser replies :

It runs about 118 to 130, depending on my diet. Foods that help lower it the most are beans, cinnamon and avacodos.

Nancy Houser replies :

I would advise you not to. That is a question your pharmacist can help you with. Possibly he can give you two pills at 500 each, but it would still need to be through a prescription. I take it you are having trouble swallowing it? I have to take mine with milk, as it slides down better, or even V8 or tomato juice. I now take my Janumet along with Metformin, which is a huge pill, and I use milk or chocolate milk or breakfast drink.

quick note by anonymous :

DId you had problem to fall asleep

Nancy Houser replies :

One of the lesser side effects of the Januvia meds is anxiety, which would cause sleep issues. The dosage could be adjusted or you could switch to Metformin (which is cheaper and causes some morning nausea - grand if you wish to lose weight). My doctor suggested eating some cheese at night if my sugar was low at bedtime, with the low number causing a high reading in the morning.

elton santos says :

quanto custa ?

Nancy Houser replies :

US 300.00 dollars a month without insurance.

olivenugent says :

The best thing I take since I started over a month ago apart from a stuffy nose.being a diabetic for over twenty years.

Mohsin ali says :

Can I use Janumet 1000/50 cut into half and then use half in morning and half in evening?

Galega says :

Please consult your doctor before doing that. You should not tweak with the prescription on your own. The doctor has prescribed the dose after seeing your medical reports.

If you are having difficulty in swallowing the tablet - which seems to be the reason - you should ask the doctor about solution.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261706728460530/k2311a0617/6.17.09