The Winning Team movie
  • I think he acted his way through the presidency
  • As with many biographical type stories, this one doesn't tell the whole story, but it does convey the real triumph of Grover's career, and it does feature the amazing love story of the Alexanders

• by Orrymain

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again. As a politician, I never liked Ronald Reagan. I think he acted his way through the presidency. However, as an actor, I really enjoy his performances, including this one as baseball player Grover Cleveland Alexander. He’s very real in this part. I buy into every

moment as Grover works to become a player, finds success, and then suffers horrible tragedy. It’s touching, poignant, and heartfelt. I’m all in with Reagan in The Winning Team.

Reagan stars opposite the dynamic Doris Day, who has always been in my top ten of all time favorite performers. I just adore and appreciate her as a ...

• human being and as an actress. Here, Day is the object of Grover’s affections, and she’s with him all the way as he builds a baseball career and then has to deal with his alcoholism, stemming from injuries he incurred earlier in life and in the military.

As with many biographical type stories, this one doesn’t tell the whole

story, but it does convey the real triumph of Grover’s career, and it does feature the amazing love story of the Alexanders. She did her best to help her husband, but today, she’d probably have more resources to help and other decisions could have been made.

The Winning Team is very good motion picture, with fine acting performances from the principals.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111706728110630/k2311a0617/6.17.09