Move Over, Darling movie  » Movies  »
  • I love just about every bit of this movie
  • They really have a comedic yet tender chemistry that I enjoy a lot

• by Orrymain

Move Over, Darling is absolutely one of my top two or three favorite Doris Day films. This one co-stars James Garner as her husband. Day plays Ellen Wagstaff Arden, and Garner is Nicholas Arden. He believes that Ellen is dead, when in reality, she’s stranded on a desert isle with Stephen Burkett, played by the very athletic Chuck

Conners.

Nicholas has somehow ended up with the flamboyant and very needy Bianca Steele, played with outrageous flair by Polly Bergen. He has Ellen declared legally dead and has the same judge perform the ceremony between himself and Bianca. It’s not long thereafter when he gets the shock of his life — Ellen is alive and well.

I love just about ...

• every bit of this movie. Some of my favorite things are:

–When Ellen tries to get away from Nicholas after a fight and drives through a car wash in a convertible;

–When Ellen hires a fake Stephen, the very un-muscular shoe clerk, played adeptly by Don Knotts;

–Thelma Ritter’s reaction when she first sees Ellen. Ritter is just perfect in these roles.

She’s Nicholas’ mother, and she has another great moment later on that I won’t spoil here;

–The very tender, happy ending that I just love to pieces.

Move Over, Darling is a delight. Day and Garner appeal to me even more than Day and Rock Hudson do. They really have a comedic yet tender chemistry that I enjoy a lot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111706728000630/k2311a0617/6.17.09