Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?
  • So, that's what I think about when I hear the name or watch Where Were You When the Lights Went Out
  • I don't think it's Day's best by any means

• by Orrymain

I have some special memories of Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?, the 1968 film that starred Doris Day and Robert Morse. My childhood best friend and I went to see this movie on the same day that we later went to the state fair. We were at the fair at night and riding on one of the rides.

I believe it was called the Avalanche. It was a ride where you sat in a seat and then went round and round really fast. The ride master would ask, ‘Do you want to go faster?’ and the louder you responded, the faster the ride would go. It was just about my favorite state fair ride ever.

On this night, though, the ride broke down about halfway through. There was also some kind of power outage going on, and the whole place was darkened. So, as we sat there, my friend and I kept yelling, Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? When everything got going again, we kept screaming it as the ride went whipping around and ...

• Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?
      around (we actually got about a ride that was equal to going on it about 5 or 6 times — it was incredible).

So, that’s what I think about when I hear the name or watch Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? Day and Morse are an odd couple, that’s for sure. I just don’t see Morse as being anywhere

near Day’s type. Quite honestly, it’s not one that I watch much. I don’t think it’s Day’s best by any means. Still, it is Doris, so if the opportunity arises, I’ll watch. Yet again, most of the time, when I do watch, my mind goes back to childhood and those days with my best friend at the state fair.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111706727970630/k2311a0617/6.17.09