Dragon’s Back Hiking Trail, Hong Kong  » Travel  »
Shek O, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
  • We picked out a fine winter afternoon to go there, since this is the best time of the year to hike in Hong Kong
  • But the trail head is a bus stop itself, which makes it convenient
  • I'm all for alternative ways to experience Hong Kong, and this provided me with great insight on how the locals (and long-time expats) spend their weekends

• by tsimon

Dragon’s Back is touted to be one of Hong Kong’s favorite trails. We picked out a fine winter afternoon to go there, since this is the best time of the year to hike in Hong Kong. Here’s what I love about this trail:

1. The trailhead is easy to find. Being newbies to hiking around Hong Kong, we took a quick taxi ride from the Shau Kei Wan MTR station. But the trail head

is a bus stop itself, which makes it convenient.

2. The trail is easy. There are very few steep inclines. The slopes are gentle enough, we didn’t have to use walking poles. We finished the entire trail in less than three hours. We would have finished earlier if didn’t stop for a snack and photo break at the peak.

3. I liked it that the trail ...

• is quite established. It’s difficult to get lost. And you’d have to be extremely careless to get into an accident.

4. It’s kid-friendly. We didn’t have children in our group but we did share the trail with families who had their school-age children with them.

5. A post-hike bonus. The end of the trail is another bus stop. Had we hiked in a warmer season (and

packed towels and swimming togs), we would’ve hopped on the bus to Shek O beach.

Our little hike was just the right way to shake off the city blues and commune with nature. It sure beats the crowds in Stanley and Ocean Park. For me, this hike has a high repeat factor (as in a good chance you’ll want to return).

I’m all for alternative ways to experience Hong Kong, and this provided me with great insight on how the locals (and long-time expats) spend their weekends.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381706727660530/k2311a0617/6.17.09