Babington House Hotel, UK
nr Frome, Somerset, UK
  • The first floor rooms in the main house are spectacular and the best
  • It has a bit too much of a london feel I think, instead of being really a good place to get away
  • The Cowshed is their relaxation area, with an amazing outdoor heated pool that my husband has swum in even when there was snow on the ground one weekend

• by expert73
      This hotel is part of the group that runs the Soho House club in London and members of Soho House also get better rates at Babington. Babington is a Country House hotel that has been developed with the London urban set in mind, and thus has none of the chintz of a traditional country house hotel. Rooms are in either the main house (first floor or attic)or in the coach house, stable block or lodge. The first floor rooms in the main house are spectacular and the best.

The coach house also has some spectacular galleried rooms, and the stable block is designed for those with kids. There is also a lodge house for larger groups but it is a bit further away from the hotel. The rooms all have a plasma and a dvd player, and

many of them have unusual features-ours had a freestanding bath in the middle of our galleried bedroom.

I wasn’t sure whether I liked this or not to be honest. There was something spectacular looking about it but to actually use it was a bit difficult as there were no ledges to put things on. There was also a spectacular shower room too though, which actually had a little force in it unlike most in the UK.

In the main house there is a bar, which is great BUT does tend to get pretty busy in the evenings as it is not that big. ALso if you work in fashion or media in London you see too many people that you know there. It has a bit too much of a london feel I think, instead of being ...

• really a good place to get away.

We ate in the Log room when we were there and the food was both very good and surprisingly well priced. There is also another restaurant but we didn’t try that. Babington is well set up for families with a free creche for guests, but you do have to stay in a family room for the kids.

The grounds are beautiful and have hammocks that are perfect for a summery weekend. The Cowshed is their relaxation area, with an amazing outdoor heated pool that my husband has swum in even when there was snow on the ground one weekend. It literally steams like hot springs in the winter.

I’m sure half the room rate goes on heating that thing!I ave never been in it but I do rate the indoor

pool. There is also a spa that is great and they do treatments in this mongolian yurt which is a little tent thing. Both times I have been I was pregnant so couldn’t use this much, but I was told by other guests that it was spectacular.

Babington has a website that does last minute weekend deals and these are worth checking out as, like most UK hotels it is eye wateringly expensive, even for what you get. I have never paid full price there, but it is often booked up so you have to be a bit flexible if you want a deal. All in all it is a great little place, although probably better for people watching than really getting away from it all, as it does have a lot of the london set there every weekend.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2250772760531/k2311a0725/7.25.06