West Side Story
  • I love many moments, including the big opening where we meet the Sharks and the Jets
  • I think it's all that finger snapping that makes this so unusual and fun

• by Orrymain

Who can forget the wonderful musical, West Side Story? No one that I know. This is Romeo and Juliet brought to us on the streets of New York. It’s vibrant and colorful, and yet it’s just as tragic as the Shakespearean love birds previously mentioned.

Natalie Wood brings nothing but brilliance to her role as the Hispanic Maria, who falls in love with the

very handsome, Tony, played by Richard Beymer. Wood and Beymer had the right look and the perfect chemistry to make this film one of Hollywood’s best ever. Their characters came from different cultures, and while it didn’t matter to them, it mattered to those around them, and that leads to the classic tragedy that brings tears to just about anyone who watches West Side ...

• Story.

I love many moments, including the big opening where we meet the Sharks and the Jets. It’s dramatic and informational, and it simply captures our curiosity. I think it’s all that finger snapping that makes this so unusual and fun.

This 1961 production has a number of hit songs, including Tonight and Somewhere. Somewhere is one of my top favorites. It’s so full

of hope. Tonight is all about the magic of romance and love. All of these songs are performed with top quality. Though Wood is dubbed, it just doesn’t matter. Her acting skills are so strong that what we see is perfection.

West Side Story is incredibly well done, and it’s a movie that will last the test of time; in fact, it already has.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111606727350230/k2311a0616/6.16.09