So You Think You Can Dance - 6-10-09
  • I noticed the crowd didn't cheer at any moves or dance steps
  • Nigel said it lacked personality, and that's what I agree with totally
  • Then Jason and Caitlin danced Bollywood, and while the judges thought their Jai Ha number was grand, I wasn't that impressed
  • I thought it was good, but not as sweepingly beautiful as I would have liked
  • It was, however, a very nice routine and one of the best of the night

• by Orrymain

Tonight was the first round of the top twenty of So You Think You Can Dance, and I’m going to start with the judges. I really like Nigel. I think he’s fair, and he tries. Mary Murphy is very knowledgeable, but she needs to calm down. I’m really tired of her screaming. It’s taken on an obnoxiousness, and I’m frankly quite sick of it. My dogs even react to it. Enough already. Now for the routines.

Phillip and Jeanine did a great hip hop routine about a couple who can’t go to sleep until they resolve their differences. It was fantastic. The ending was especially wonderful. They started lying down and ended lying down and in a cuddle, but it was all done with superb hip hop moves. They made for a great opening for the new season.

When Asuka and Vitolio danced a Broadway routine with a ragtime

theme, I didn’t feel the chemistry at all. They had the moves, but nothing exciting. I noticed the crowd didn’t cheer at any moves or dance steps. Judge Mary said they were playing it safe, and maybe that was it. Nigel said it lacked personality, and that’s what I agree with totally. The dancing was technically great; it just had no heart.

Karla and Jonathan performed a cha cha and had some fire going. Some of the steps were really nice. It was much better than the prior couple.

Randi, who made it on the show the third time she tried out, and Evan, whose brother tried out but didn’t make it to the top 20, danced together next. It was a more intense, passionate love story being told. I liked it and was somewhat entranced by it, but not totally over the top. That’s not a negative. It ...

• was just a nice, sensual dance. Randi was especially good; I was drawn to her throughout the dance.

Next up were Paris and Tony doing a hip hop routine that was pretty robotic in theme. They got a lot of cheers, but it didn’t do anything for me. Then Jason and Caitlin danced Bollywood, and while the judges thought their Jai Ha number was grand, I wasn’t that impressed. Janette and Brandon did a fox trot to Come Fly with Me. She looked very elegant, which is appropriate for the number. I thought it was good, but not as sweepingly beautiful as I would have liked.

It took Ashley four times to make the top 20 and tonight she danced a jazz routine with Kupono where they were crash test dummies. Oddly, their costumes were more exciting than the routine in my opinion. It was different and out there. I just

didn’t feel the zing. The ending was really weird, too.

At the opening of the show when they did their intro dances while being introduced, I really didn’t like Melissa at all. I felt she was inappropriate and distasteful, so I went into her dance with Ade with skepticism. The two did a contemporary routine. It was, however, a very nice routine and one of the best of the night. I just hope Melissa gets more tasteful as the show goes along. She’s the oldest dancer on the show. She needs to tone it down.

The samba was the last dance of the night, and it was pretty hot, all things considered. Kayla and Max did a great job.

All in all, it was a good opening show. I’m clearly not a dance expert, but these were my opinions as I watched them. And Mary really does need to stop screaming.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 591606726930130/k2311a0616/6.16.09