Movie Angels and Demons  » Movies  »
  • I think that they had done a great job adapting it to a movie

• by shiobeh

I am a big fan of Dan Brown’s novels. They are, for me, the kind of books that I could finish in one sitting, simply because they are too thrilling that I can’t keep my hands off it. So when it was announced that this is going to be a film, I was overly excited.

The film began by showing the CERN scientists experimenting with anti-matter which is a breakthrough for it negates the belief, “Nothing can be created out of nothing.” But one of the vials was stolen and a video feed was received by the Vatican shows that the stolen vial will be used to destroy the whole of Vatican and some parts of Rome.

With the Pope gone and the whole Catholic mourning, four preferratti were also kidnapped before the Conclave goes to seclusion and a threat was received that they will be killed one hour at a time. The mastermind behind all these is the Illuminati, a 400 year old underground secret society who has always been an enemy of the Catholic Church.

With all these, the Vatican turned to Dr. Robert Langdon, a Harvard symbologist, to solve the mysteries. With the help of CERN’s Vittoria Vetra, they will try to save the four preferratti’s lives and stop the anti-matter from erasing Vatican. With such a limited time and a whirlwind of clues, will they be able to succeed?

I think ...

• that they had done a great job adapting it to a movie. I wasn’t able to feel the same intensity and full emotion I felt while reading the book, but the feeling that they had created in the movie was enough to engage the viewers until the very end.

Tom Hanks and Ayelet Zurer who played the role of Robert Langdon and Vittoria Vetra, respectively, had done a great job. Ewan McGregor, who played Camerlengo, is also a nice addition to the cast. I think that they were able to successfully play their roles, especially McGregor.

One of the things that I especially liked was the cinematography. The way they had shown the different churches gives you the

feeling that these churches are of historical significance. They were all magnificent and it somehow gave you a taste of Rome.

I particularly liked the way the four preferratti were tortured. It was shown aesthetically painful but not to the point that it was too much. I think they had succeeded on showing how the torturing was done back in the old days and they had somehow made the viewers feel the pain.

Overall, I can say that the movie adaptation of Angels and Demons is a must-see. If you have read the book, you might feel that something is missing. If you haven’t read it then you might get lost with all the historical information and details.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111606726860130/k2311a0616/6.16.09