The King and I movie  » Movies  »
  • Deborah Kerr plays Anna, a widow who accepts the challenge of teaching the children of Siam, and by that I mean all of the King's children, and there are many

• by Orrymain

One of the classic movies in the annals of great musicals is The King and I. From Broadway to the big screen and later to the small screen, The King and I is an enchanting story of a strange and unconventional love between two very different people who are from two totally different cultures.

Deborah Kerr plays Anna, a widow who accepts

the challenge of teaching the children of Siam, and by that I mean all of the King’s children, and there are many. Kerr brings sophistication and elegance to the role.

While I could talk about the lavish costumes, the brilliant musical score, and the marvelous script, when it comes down to it, The King and I is all about the King, and ...

• the King of Siam is the brilliant bald-headed mystic, Yul Brynner. From the moment he first stepped on stage as the King to the day he died, Brynner was the consummate King. No one else who has attempted this part has ever come close. He had the stature and the belief that made him the true King.
        All others are mere contenders.

His final scene in The King and I is poignant and tender and shows the growth that the King has made from the moment he met Mrs. Anna. She changed his life.

If for no other reason than to see true majesty at work in the person of Yul Brynner, make sure you see The King and I.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111506726160130/k2311a0615/6.15.09