Movie Chicago  » Movies  »
  • Zellweger is very good as Roxie, and yet when I think about the character, I think about the actress I saw in the local production
  • The best part about Chicago is the musical aspect

• by Orrymain

I admit to being surprised at the caliber of the musical performances of Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renée Zellweger, and Richard Gere and it made for a stunning production of Chicago, but at the same time, I honestly believe that the theater production I saw of it in Los Angeles was much better.

Patrick Swayze was way better than Gere, for example. Zellweger is very good as Roxie, and yet when I think about the character, I think about the actress I saw in the local production. Zeta-Jones was the most surprising to me. I hadn’t expected her to be even passing, but ...

• she is.

The best part about Chicago is the musical aspect. The production numbers are pretty good, and the songs are riveting. Songs like Cell Block Tango, Razzle Dazzle, and We Both Reached for the Gun are great.

The Roxie and Velma characters are intriguing, especially to see how they begin and

where they end up. It’s not a predictable progression, which is why Chicago is such a good story. It keeps you guessing. I also think the key role of the Matron Mama Morton is important. Queen Latifah does a pretty nice interpretation of Mama here.

Chicago is good, not great, but good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111506726060130/k2311a0615/6.15.09