Ford Explorer 4×4 Eddie Bauer  » Cars  »
  • I bought my 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with 4x4 certified pre-owned about 4 years ago
  • I love the look of the Explorer - it's got some heft to it without being a monster like the Excursion
  • I'm pretty short, so I can't do without the running boards and recommend them
  • I really love the stereo and the 6-disc in-dash CD changer, although I do forget what CD is in which slot

• by JOD0414

I bought my 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with 4×4 certified pre-owned about 4 years ago. I was originally just looking for an XLS or XLT model, but once I drove the Eddie Bauer, I was - of course - hooked. The price difference for a certified pre-owned Eddie Bauer is only a couple thousand dollars, so why not get a little luxury? It was February, and the Eddie Bauer has heated leather seats, so I was sold! Other than a couple of minor scratches on the outside, it was in great condition with moderately low miles; I paid about $18k.

To-date this has been the absolute best vehicle, and I can’t say enough good things about it. I read some reviews stating that others have had a string of maintenance

issues, but I can honestly say that I have had almost no issues so far, and hope that continues.

I replaced the back lift glass per a recall (no charge at a dealership) and had to replace the driver side window motor (it burned out and got stuck halfway down, but was covered by the warranty so again no charge). I put new tires on it about 2 years ago, and I rotate them every oil change to keep them going as long as possible.

I love the look of the Explorer - it’s got some heft to it without being a monster like the Excursion. I’m pretty short, so I can’t do without the running boards and recommend them.

It’s great being able to see all around (no real blind spots ...

• to speak of) and way ahead of the truck. It is surprisingly maneuverable in tight spaces - really very agile for a truck this size.

I didn’t get the V8, but the V6 in the Eddie Bauer has a good bit of pick up. I’ve never had any problems stepping on the gas when need be and the truck accelerates very smoothly.

I haven’t used the 4×4 much, but in the rare occasion I need it, it is pretty easy to use and works well. Leather interior always seemed like a waste to me, but I am a true believer now - it just gets better with age.

The instrumentation is great, and the seat position and pedal memory is wonderful if you have more than 1 driver using the truck.

I really love the stereo and the 6-disc in-dash CD changer, although I do forget what CD is in which slot.

Space-wise, it is a life saver! The cargo area can take a big trip to Costco or Home Depot or hold our 2 dogs (50 pounds each) very comfortably. Even the back seat is pretty comfortable.

The only way Ford could make me love the Explorer Eddie Bauer any more is if they made a hybrid. It gets pretty good mileage if you are a little conservative around town.

On the highway I’ve gotten it consistently to around 23 mph - the computer tracks mpg real-time, so you can adjust your driving as you like. This is a great truck, and I’m planning to drive it until the wheels fall off!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91506725831230/k2311a0615/6.15.09