The Singing Nun movie  » Movies  »
  • As a child, I think I wanted her to leave for him

• by Orrymain

Debbie Reynolds stars as The Singing Nun, known in the movie as Sister Ann, and she did a fantastic job. The movie is based on a true story, though like most movies of its kind, a lot of liberties on the plot have been taken. True or not, it’s an intriguing story about a Catholic nun who has the gift of song. A record producer convinces her and the Church to allow her

to sing and record her songs. In the process, her life is turned upside down.

There are two things I always remember about The Singing Nun. The first are the songs, primarily the huge world-wide hit, Dominque. We sang that song during chorus in school all the time. It’s lively and just a joy. In the movie, we get the background on who Dom is and his connection to the nun.

The other ...

• is that Chad Everett co-stars as a man from the sister’s past who is part of the record company. There’s that hint of a current romance that makes the viewer wonder if she’ll leave the Church for him or not. I just always thought how handsome Everett was. As a child, I think I wanted her to leave for him. Of course, as I grew up, I understood more the consequences of
        that move and what the story was really about.

I also smile at Sister Ann riding down the street on her scooter. It’s an image I’ve never forgotten and one often used in the publicity for the movie.

The Singing Nun is a wonderful movie. It only lightly touches on the real drama behind Siste Ann’s crisis and ultimate decision, and it doesn’t get into what happened to her later on, but as a movie musical, it’s terrific.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111306724051230/k2311a0613/6.13.09