The First Bank, Calais Maine  » Finance  »
  • This particular review relates to the Calais branch, as I have no personal experience with the other branches
  • A minor inconvenience, and perhaps for the best, as after my traditional guerrilla-style deposits in the dark of night at the ATM, one of their tellers advised me that I should instead use the traditional depository that gets dumped right into their building, as there is no way of knowing when they will check the ATM and it is just safer (cue wide eyes)

• by WingWoman

The First bank is a small, local operation ran by local people, across the state of Maine. This particular review relates to the Calais branch, as I have no personal experience with the other branches. I recently (within the last year) opened an account with them after previously using much larger, national banks.

It is located in a quaint, tidy building (though most banks are excessively clean, aren’t they?), with a drive-thru and an ATM machine outside. I initially went there to open a checking account with a debit card attached to it; basic and simplistic.

I dressed up, nervous, as I’d had a bad experience with my last bank and was in the process of clearing it up (hurray for negative checking accounts!), and anticipated that my coming to this one would have been forewarned somehow. A well-dressed lady

with a perpetual smile (this got a little unnerving after a while) sat me down in a desk directly next to their lobby.

I was surprised she didn’t take me in an enclosed office as we discussed my social security number and personal details, but managed to keep my voice down enough. Still, it made me uncomfortable.

The process was fairly quick and successful, involving a lot of me signing things. She presented me with my free mustard and said I’d have my debit card and checks in 5-8 business days.

I received my checks, and started using those, waiting anxiously for my debit card as the process of check writing never excited me. It didn’t come.

2 weeks after the fact, I was still trying to be patient, right up until I went to a gas station and they ...

• refused my check because its number began with a “2″ and I didn’t have any others on me. Of course, I had no cash as well– cue frantic search around the city for a place that would cash my check and give me cash back, using up most of the gas I’d purchased.

Somewhere in that 3rd week I went back to the bank, getting a withdrawal in CASH and making beady eyes at the smiling lady. She came over and asked how I was, and after pleasantries I expressed my longing for a debit card.

She gasped, her eyes lit up, and she told me all about how she had a few customers that had their paperwork misplaced and had not received their cards yet, and how glad she was that I remembered I needed one. She told me

I’d have it in 5-8 business days.

I did get it, finally, hurray! About 4 months afterwards, the ATM machine stopped taking it, making deposits and withdrawals a little more difficult (the card still works everywhere else). A minor inconvenience, and perhaps for the best, as after my traditional guerrilla-style deposits in the dark of night at the ATM, one of their tellers advised me that I should instead use the traditional depository that gets dumped right into their building, as there is no way of knowing when they will check the ATM and it is just safer (cue wide eyes).

In conclusion, the First is a quirky bank, and feels to me like down-home folks dressed up and trying to be professional. To me, I’m fine with this, after being incredibly intimidated by the robot-people of the big banks with their big list of fine prints.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 421106722960430/k2311a0611/6.11.09