Iida 5-String Banjo  » Music  »
  • I did have a problem early on with the 5th string tuning peg
  • I purchased the factory hard case which I strongly recommend

• by piefoot

I purchased the Iida 5-String Banjo in 1974. This particular model is not for beginners but at the same time its not a high end instrument. I’ve used it for 35 years playing it for family, friends, and on stage professionally.

The banjo features a heavy mahogany resonator, steel ring, and an adjustable tension neck. Over the years the banjo has held up very nicely with all the original features still working just

as they should.

I did have a problem early on with the 5th string tuning peg. It would not stay in position with the factory set up.

The only way to get the peg to stay in position once the string was properly tuned was to tighten a holding screw. Doing this made it impossible to turn the peg for tuning adjustments.

I replaced this peg with an aftermarket 5th string tuning peg ...

• featuring gears. This change is absolutely necessary at any level of playing.

Another problem I’ve had over the years is that while most banjos are fairly loud instruments, this one is somewhat muted. I’ve changed banjo heads several times to brighten the sound and increase the volume but have had little success.

I recently changed to a fairly expensive titanium banjo head having some success, but that is another review. I’ve tried different

strings to improve the sound quality but have had no success from doing so.

Iida would do well to modify its design or do whatever is necessary to brighten the muted sound quality and to increase the volume. Overall it is a good looking instrument and has served me well.

I purchased the factory hard case which I strongly recommend. The case has taken a beating but has protected the banjo very nicely.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 14906721731230/k2311a069/6.9.09