Cetirizine Children’s Allergy Medication
  • This became an issue with insurance companies paying for his prescription allergy medication at age eight

• by Michigan_Mother

My youngest son has severe asthma and allergies. His asthma is particularly aggravated by pollen in the spring, and is also exercise induced. Although we have tried a variety of other prescription medications to help with his allergies, the one we have found to work best is Cetirizine. Cetirizine is the generic for Zyrtec allergy medication.

My son has difficulties with swallowing pills, however, his body size is such that liquid medications are a huge volume. This became an issue with insurance companies paying for his prescription allergy medication at age eight. So, that’s when we first switched over to Cetirizine.

At the time my son was taking a 5 mg chewable which was grape flavored. However, as his age and weight demanded his is currently on 10 mg Cetirizine one time each day.

Even though it helps his allergies, my son tells me that he doesn’t care for the taste of the chewable allergy medication. He liked the grape flavor; however the 10 mg cetirizine comes in a flavor called “Tutti-Fruitti”. He tells me that it tastes gross and not like any kid of fruit he’d eat, because it tastes like rotten fruit. I haven’t personally tasted it.

What I can tell ...

• you is that we use the cetirizine 10 mg chewable tables from Sandoz on an as needed basis. My son does not take the medication year round, and it was our primary care pediatrician who first suggested we just try it on an as needed basis. The reason for this is that the allergy medication was incredibly drying to my son’s nostrils and he kept getting nose bleeds. We discovered that when we stopped the medication the nose bleeds would stop however at the lower 5 mg dose his allergies were not controlled.

Now, my son uses it starting in late

April to early May and we typically do three days on, then two off except for when his allergies are very severe in June. For the month of June he takes it daily and we just make sure that his nasal passages keep hydrated. Cetirizine works very effectively to control his allergy asthma response, and works great for our family as an as needed medication. The other thing that’s great about it is my son has none of the mood swings he experienced while taking the singulair, but equal to somewhat better allergy control results with 10mg Cetirizine manufactured by Sandoz.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26706720680930/k2311a067/6.7.09